Pease help my with my hen Gertie?

• 38 Replies

jinty1911

Re: Pease help my with my hen Gertie?
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 21:22 »
HF -  No wonder you are a hero member!! Your advise and expertise is amazing.  So glad your here.  :D  :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2010, 21:23 »
Goodness me HF - don't give the short answer when the long one will do  :wacko: ;)

jinty1911

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2010, 21:28 »
But very interesting for us newbies none the less.  :D  :D
Jinty

hillfooter

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2010, 21:29 »
Goodness me HF - don't give the short answer when the long one will do  :wacko: ;)

Glad you're awake and paying attention Auntie. ::)
HF
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2010, 21:32 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:

I always listen to your advice HF it's generally very good  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #35 on: November 06, 2010, 15:29 »
How is Gertie today?

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2010, 15:00 »
Hello all,

thanks HF for your information, i never though that chickens would eat tuna?! Might try that out at some point. Yes I am a girl by the way! I got worried when Gertie started to look a little droopy for the second time but seeing as it was dark and she went to roost with the other girls I decided to leave it till the morning (and to try to stop worrying)!

Gertie looks like she's made a full recovery now, I've been out keeping them all company this afternoon in the autumn sun and she was running around, curious about everything, making her little noises, following me about etc.  She even jumped up on top of the coop, doing a balancing act on the edge of the sleeping area while i put new bedding in there!  There was no sign of a second soft egg either.

We got some yoghurt for them and put it in a little plastic container. They were a bit dubious about the plastic container at first but then they got stuck in to the yoghurt, Gertie in particular seemed to really enjoy it, she was wolfing it down! They kept going straight from the yoghurt to the layers mash and getting it all stuck round their beaks and in their combs and then trying to peck it off each other. So funny.

We did give them a small cuttle fish bone as well but they werent interested in it at all. We get the oyster shell tomorrow, so that's another good thing.

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm going to be doing some regular posting on here from now on, learning all about the antics of other peoples chickens!

PS - does anyone know how to post a picture on here? I'd really like to put one of Gertie up...
Memory is a selection of images. Some illusive, others printed indelibly on the brain.

NormandyMary

« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2010, 15:40 »
Im sooo glad she is back to her old self. I bet you feel on top of the world dont you?
Funnily enough, when I went down to the henhouse to collect the eggs yesterday, I found TWO soft eggs. I couldnt believe it. All 5 girls are in great health, no sign of anything untoward at all. Luckily, the other day, I had bought a bag of oyster shell, which was still on the back seat of my car. I got it out and sprinkled it over their food straight away, so hopefully all will be well from now on.

I just couldnt believe it though, we were all talking about soft eggs, I hadnt had one for about 2 years, then 2 at once!!!!!!

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2010, 16:15 »
Wow, that is strange!

Do you think that these soft eggs may have something to do with the clocks changing and it getting darker earlier?

I felt so sorry for poor Gertie, I don't think I've ever seen a bird look so miserable!

xx
Elsie, Dot, Audrey, Gertie, Amber and Betsy are home

Started by babe on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:08
by babe

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 38 queries.