Help please - our old hen has been attacked

• 35 Replies

heatherhsp

Help please - our old hen has been attacked
« on: November 02, 2010, 16:21 »
Our lovley old hen Bella has been got by something on Saturday evening.  (a dog or stoat? no foxes around,) She was fine at 5ish...the we found her in a heap it around 7pm. 

To cut a 3 day story short, she still can't control her head very well - well hardly at all, it's right on the floor most of the time, and she seems now to be able to pick it up in a jerky way.  We have been able to get water into her, and I've tried to slowly syringe a bit of milky egg (which she would love normally as a rare treat).

We're very upset and wonder if it's cruel, but each day she's still alive and slightly better.  Though I suppose she isn't really, as she must be starving.  He neck is black and blue, but no obvious puncture wounds...

I know what the vet will say...
But as she's survived this long, I think she deserves a chance at least.What do you think?  Any feeding advice?  Thanks Heather

compostqueen

Re: Help please - our old hen has been attacked
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 18:14 »
I would have got her to the vet sharpish, I really would.  If you think there's a chance for her why not take her ?  She could be given pain relief, anti-inflammatory and antibiotics, or she could be despatched to stop her suffering

Sorry to hear about your girl, it's very upsetting  :(

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 20:14 »
Oh I am so sorry  :(  How horrible for you.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 20:25 »
Oh you poor thing. I know just what you are going through, and believe me, I know the pain you are feeling for your girl.
I would honestly say that its a bit worrying that Bella cant hold her head up after 3 days. Even after extreme shock, she should have started to improve a bit by now.
I think that you will know what the right decision is, its just having the courage to make it.
Im sending you my very best wishes Heather, and all the luck in the world.

Maryx

orchardlady

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 21:21 »
I'm so sorry to hear about you lovely hen Bella. I think that if I was you I would give her one more day and then humanely dispatch her for her own good as she sounds like she is suffering. However you are the only ones who can make that final decision.

We are thinking of you.

uktitan

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 22:06 »
Im sorry to hear of your Poor Chook,

I agree she's lasted this long, i think she deserves a chance.. Only you can deside when enough is enough, But at least if you Do deside to Dispatch her, you will know you did everything you could.

If you don't have any Anti inflammatory at hand try this, get a mixer or liquidiser and put in one to 2 cloves of garlic, and a One inch square of Fresh root Ginger, 2 Table spoons of Water and half a Spoon of sugar, mix it into a paste and give it to her threw a dropper or syringe.. The Garlic is because its amongst other things a potent natural anti biotic, the ginger Because its a Natural Anti inflammatory, the water is to help make the paste and the sugar is to give a little energy and so the paste doesnt taste to bad  :) i give this to my chooks and cats when they aint feeling very well.. Although the Cat protests more than the chooks hehe hope this Helps... after all, If nothing else it can't hurt to try  :)

Good luck and all the best with your poorly Girl
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

ehs284

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 08:09 »
She sounds badly bruised. No punctures so no need for infection worries from bite. She sounds to be improving. Is she's warm and you talk to her so she feels safe, then warm water with asprin and sugar at regular intervals is likely to work. Cat food when she's ready. Several times we've had birds which have been attacked by dogs and where there are no wounds this seems to work even though they appear near to death to begin with. HTH

heatherhsp

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 09:08 »
Bella is still the same this morning.  She has had quite a big drink.  I'm taking her to see the vet at 10.  I hope he can help.  She is a very old hen, but amazingly strong still.

Thanks for all your help...

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 10:43 »
I'm glad to hear she's going to the vet and I hope there's something that can be done to either put her to rights or end her suffering

Good luck, and do let us know how she gets on  :)

heatherhsp

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 11:57 »
Well...Bella has had an injection.  She amazed me by holding her head up most of the time at the vet's!  She has just eaten a little moistened chick crumb (better than nothing eh?) and having a nap now, in a box on my kitchen table.    :closedeyes:

He says if she continues to improve - good.  If she gets worse or stays the same by Friday, she should be put to sleep.   :(

Fingers crossed.... Thanks again everybody

Beano

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 12:24 »
Fingers crossed !! She sounds a tough old bird and lets hope she keeps getting better.
El.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 12:32 »
Are you sure she was attacked ?  What was the evidence of that ?

I'm wondering if she had a small stroke.

heatherhsp

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 12:54 »
Actually the vet did find a tiny wound.  He thought something had had hold of her.  His guess was a dog.  Poor Bella, as he was giving her a good examination, her feathers were all falling out... :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 13:27 »
She could be moulting too,  lots of TLC and good food.  She's a strong girl :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 16:06 »
Ill be crossing everything for the next few days, hoping that your baby makes a full recovery.
Positive vibes coming your way from over the channel!!

Mary.

xx
hen attacked by the other hen

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post February 02, 2013, 14:32
by ANHBUC
xx
Still being attacked

Started by cejx on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post December 08, 2010, 18:03
by cejx
xx
Attacked by a rat????

Started by RosieMay on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 20:19
by RosieMay
xx
attacked hen

Started by scott bell on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 22:52
by scott bell

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.