Can I leave broody Orpington in empty nest box?

• 11 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
Can I leave broody Orpington in empty nest box?
« on: April 17, 2012, 18:18 »
As soon as I realised today what was happening I took her out of the nest and removed the eggs. We removed her again 5 mins later but she's back in there again now. I feel mean shutting her out so would it matter leaving her as long as the nest box is empty

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Can I leave broody Orpington in empty nest box?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 18:29 »
no problem with doing that but she may stay broody for several weeks. Make sure you do remove the eggs frequently though during the day and also make sure the others can still get in to lay.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 18:33 »
Thank you. There is another nest box but all 4 usually use the one she is in. Don't mind her going off lay, I read somewhere they have a predetermined no of eggs to lay in a lifetime so don't mind how long it takes if she is happy x

rosie14

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:41 »
Our Orpie went broody she didn't care that she was sitting on zero eggs lol! We took advantage of this and bought some fertile eggs  :D Of course this is something that you might not want to do  :)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 16:38 »
I would love to let her be a mummy but have no use for boys.  When I had my chicks last year I had someone that wanted the boys. She looks so sad sitting there x

rosie14

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 10:07 »
Aww yes I know what you mean. I only have 2 hens one Bluebell and one Orpie, she is also broody. She is one of last years' offspring.

You could get an auto sex breed of hen such as the Cream leg bar which enables you to determine the sexes directly after hatching by their markings rather than having to wait weeks and weeks. This is what I did. I appreciate though it's not everyones choice to do things this way as it means either facing rehoming/disposing the Cocks (if you get any!!) or disposing of day old Cock chicks. Like I say no everyones cup of tea. x

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 21:00 »
Oh dear. I now have 2 buff orpingtons broody in the same nestbox. Goodness knows how the other two will get in to lay tomorrow. There is an identical box next to it but they never use that. Maybe tomorrow they will

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 21:11 »
My orpie cross is also broody ::).  I take her off the nest at least once a day so she can have a drink and something to eat  (hopefully) and then she just goes and sits back in there again.  I always take the egg away.  There were 3 in there today so the others must have snuck in while she was having a drink.  Generally over the past few weeks the others have been laying around the garden!!
My broody even had a dustbath today so she must be coming to the end of her broodiness? 
Is it true they are only broody as long as it would take to hatch an egg?

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 21:19 »
Hopefully someone will tell us how long they will be broody. Mine all come out in the morning to free range for an hour then I put them away when I go to work. No idea what happens then but they are in the nest box when I get back. There is no poo in their coop so they must come out for that.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 21:42 »
I've got a feeling they are broody for 3 weeks but is that how long it takes to hatch an egg?

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 22:28 »
Yes, we hatch them at our school in an incubator, I think if you keep taking them off they get over it quicker but I think I will leave mine as the bonus is they dont make as much noise.

viettaclark

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2012, 00:11 »
More like 5 weeks......depends when you take it from. I count from the last egg laid.
My Speckledie delights in being broody maybe because as the bottom of the pecking order she has more kudos!
She starts by chucking straw and twigs over her back and being noisier than usual but still lays. After a week or two she stops laying and gets nesting then when she plucks her chest feathers to line the nest, won't leave the nest box, makes angry chirrup noises if disturbed and runs round like a neurotic headless chicken (!) if locked out of the nestbox I know it's full blown broodiness and I won't see an egg from her for weeks.
The others seem to lay better to fill the nest up for her.......aaaah! ::) :D

xx
broody orpington

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 10:48
by sussexchook
xx
broody orpington

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 13:09
by sussexchook
xx
Broody Orpington

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2013, 20:25
by Carshay
xx
Broody Buff Orpington

Started by greeneyesgreedy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 12:45
by greeneyesgreedy

Page created in 0.277 seconds with 36 queries.