Wing clipping

• 22 Replies

babypoogle

Wing clipping
« on: January 08, 2008, 11:24 »
Does anyone do this?  I'm concerned about my babies flying over the 6 foot fence into next door's garden - where a hungry German Shepherd will get an unexpected treat.  I have read something about clipping one of the wings so they can fly enough to get out of danger but not up a tree or fence.

What are your thoughts, fellow chickeners?

Poogle xx

chelseablue

• Experienced Member
Wing clipping
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2008, 11:57 »
hi

I clipped the wings on our birds, one got out can only assume she got onto the top of the coop then took off over the fence, we got her back in once piece

only clip one wing though so you unbalance them.

goodluck :D
pauline

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Wing clipping
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:14 »
Hi Poogle  :D

Traditionally it's the left wing that's clipped.  This diagram should sjow you how much to clip off:

Selkie

Wing clipping
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:19 »
I found that diagram VERY helpful when I 'did' our hens though it's handy if you have someone else holding the hen for you (and if you put a sock over the hen's head)

We only have a 4 foot fence but the hens have never gone over it, I don't think mine know they are capable of flying :roll:

Bodger

Wing clipping
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 12:21 »
You could put them off socks for life :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

There really is no need to scare them by putting the lights out for them, its a twenty second job and is totally painless and stress free.

Selkie

Wing clipping
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2008, 12:22 »
Mine got stressed, Munty suggested putting a sock over their head and it really worked; most animals tend to relax in the dark Bodger

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Wing clipping
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 12:36 »
But one of Bodgers socks Rose  :shock:

You'd be scared too  :wink:

Probably pass out  :lol:

Selkie

Wing clipping
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 12:37 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

:lol: :lol:  Oh Auntie thank you for making me laugh when I'm having such a bad day

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Wing clipping
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2008, 12:50 »
i did clip wings on my very first chickens. but havent done it since. thankfully when mr foxy paid a visit, popcorn was able to fly up into a tree in the waste ground next to my garden. if id clipped she probably wouldnt have survived.

theres for and against, im not against it and dont think its cruel. and if i had one who was a bit flighty i would probably clip again.

babypoogle

Wing clipping
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 13:00 »
You could put them off socks for life :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Excellent idea.  If you watch animal programmes they always cover the animals head to calm them.  

I doubt Big Mama Buff would fly (I doubt she can, fatso that she is) but the other two would.  The Pekin has already swooped over my shoulder as I opened the run and Matilda the Maran hovers by the door just awaiting her chance.....

Thanks for the diagram, very helpful.  I wondered whether, like with claws, you can cut too far?

Poogle x

Fat Hen

Wing clipping
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2008, 13:09 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

Maybe thats the idea of the sock (unwashed) a bit like dentists gas :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Fat Hen

Wing clipping
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2008, 13:13 »
I think all bar one of my chucks (Daisy/Silkie) can fly.  I've occasionally seen one shoot rapidly past the window, and one appears to like standing atop the BBQ peering through the hedge or down on her domain.  But none so far have shown the inclination to wander further than the garden (as small as it is).

Bodger

Wing clipping
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2008, 13:19 »
If I kept ostriches I'd put a sock over its head as a means of self preservation but wouldn't do it for a nice well handled fluffy chicken as I think its a bit of overkill.

Selkie

Wing clipping
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2008, 13:33 »
Quote from: "Bodger"
If I kept ostriches I'd put a sock over its head as a means of self preservation but wouldn't do it for a nice well handled fluffy chicken as I think its a bit of overkill.

Well Bodger, all I can say is that our hens were getting stressed by it so we put a sock over their heads and it calmed them right down.

What you do is your own business, I'm just saying that it was a tip someone on here gave me --- and it worked.

Bodger

Wing clipping
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2008, 13:38 »
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh don't get narky ! :cry:

The info is for other people as well as yourself. If it worked for you, thats fine by me. Its no big deal, nor is clipping a wing.

xx
wing clipping

Started by Geo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:51
by Geo
xx
Wing Clipping?

Started by bulliesrus on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 04:24
by hillfooter
xx
Wing Clipping

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 22:27
by Chookaholic
xx
Wing clipping

Started by Blue ranger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 11:21
by Blue ranger

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 35 queries.