Help with weed killer

• 3 Replies

What Allot

Help with weed killer
« on: July 26, 2009, 21:20 »
I have a full allotment but can only cultivate half of it as the other half is too compacted and full of marestail.
It also has 3 sheds and 2 greenhouses on it (lucky me) so I am not really fussed about cultivating it massively.
My problem is that on the advice of the previous encumbant of my little patch I have sprayed that half with sodium chlorate to keep down the marestail. It's not worked brilliantly and what I'm wanting to do is put fruit trees and bushes down that end but I'm not sure if i can as I have sprayed it liberally. This was done at the beginning of May but on the tub of sodium chlorate it says meant for areas not used for crops so can I or can I not now plant fruit in that patch.
Any advice would be gratefully received also advice on the marestail. I'm tending to just keep it trimmed with a strimmer at the moment and that isn't too bad but don't really want to use my limited good planting area for fruit that will stay in one place for a long while.
Many thanks

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Help with weed killer
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 21:38 »
Welcome to the forums What Allot  :)

Sodium Chlorate has a residual effect that means you cannot plant for at least 6 months after application, I believe.  You should be fine using the ground next season but I would not try to grow anything in that area for the rest of this year.

It will not be legal to use it after 10 May next year in any event.

Marestail is a prehistoric organism, well-practised at staying alive!  It has a silica coating so it needs to be bruised before weedkiller is applied so that the chemicals penetrate the coating and do what they're supposed to do.  Several repeat applications of glyphosate based weedkiller will help but it will almost certainly come back sooner or later.

One advice is to regularly hoe it off - or strim it - before it gets too many inches high.  This will weaken it at the least.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

What Allot

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 21:43 »
Thanks Yorkie that's sound advice.
I'll probably be ok to plant bare rooted trees after November which is about right, as long as I can get a spade in it!!!!

Faz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 07:24 »
Sodium Chlorate can have a long residual effect, so if possible I would dig a hole and plant your trees in soil you know to be good. That way should buy you a bit more time before the roots grow into the existing soil.

If your ground is very compacted this may take a while!! Good luck  :)

xx
weed killer

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 24, 2009, 17:49
by Jonajo
xx
weed killer

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 18, 2010, 14:10
by Lardman
xx
which weed killer

Started by purron on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 23, 2008, 09:10
by owein
xx
weed killer

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 09:49
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.