How do I store or preserve chillis

• 6 Replies

Ian_P

• Experienced Member
« on: August 20, 2006, 21:14 »
Does anyone know the best way of storing chillis. I have literally hundreds, just turning from green to yellow.

Do I freeze some, or how do I dry them when they go red.

Thanks
Ian

Feeding the mini-beasts of Hampshire

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 21:41 »
I've not tried drying mine yet, I either freeze them, or put them into jars and cover with a brine and vinegar solution.  I had a commercial jar once, and read the label and that is what they were stored in.  I've still got a jar a year old, and they look fine, no mildew or anything!  I've still got some frozen too from last year!!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 21:59 »
Why not try something really different.  Chilli Vodka.  Purchase a budget brand, Tesco do a 70cl bottle for about £6.20.  Empty a little Vodka out of the bottle 25mls and then drop in about four small whole chiilis.  Leave in a cool dark place for a month and then start drinking.  Not for the feint hearted. But really nice as the start to an evening.  The longer you leave it the stronger the taste.  I have one small bottle over a year old now which is brimestone and fire!

I am majoring on flavoured Vodka this year, growing on the success of last year's - Strawberry, Blackberry, Chilli and Black Current.  This year we are going for Raspberry, Plum, Goosberry and Pear - in addition to the successes of last season.

Experiement, it is fun and you really can't go to far wrong.  If you do the evidence is drinkable!

It also works with Olive Oil - Chilli and Garlic with a  little Bay is really worth a try.  Again don't be afraid to experiment with combinations.

All the ideas make great presents at Christmas.  We have had requests for the Vodkas from last year since February.  

Regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Annie

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 22:39 »
Drying chillies is quite easy simply put little slipknots in a long piece of string putting a stalk through each one,hang somewhere warm and dry,I use the kitchen,and wait until they dry.I find these easiest to use blitzed in the blender,you can  seperate green and red chillies if you like.
   Deseeded and frozen they are easier to use if you don`t like things too hot or have a reciepe where you need slices.

wellingtons

Just one point on the chilli oil ..
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 10:25 »
... it is fabby, but you must heat the oil with the chillies in in a saucepan to a temp of 38 degrees then cool and store in sterilised bottles.  If you don't the chillies can go mouldy and ruin the oil.

Tomato and chilli jam is another fabulous way of using up chillies.  As is the drying and blitzing them into chilli powder suggested earlier.

Annie

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 11:09 »
Does heating the oil prevent botulism,I sucessfully preserve lemons in oil and understand that the citric acid prevents it and if heating the oil does too I will have to collect more jars.

wellingtons

I don't know Annie
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 11:28 »
... I'm afraid.  I just know that when I didn't do it my chillies went mouldy!

xx
Viromesh - is it worth spending £16 to preserve 5m of crop?

Started by sweet nasturtium on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post October 13, 2007, 10:57
by Annie
xx
Big Chillis

Started by backpain on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 16:40
by backpain
xx
chillis

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 28, 2008, 09:43
by agapanthus
xx
What to do with my chillis

Started by samnorfolk on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 08:29
by Sadgit

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 38 queries.