soft shelled eggs

• 3 Replies

Penny Finn

soft shelled eggs
« on: July 08, 2008, 09:26 »
Very exciting this week as one of my new chickens has started laying.  However the other one is laying soft shelled eggs which are almost like deflated balloons!  The first one was in the run and I took it out but last night she had obviously laid one in the house, not in the nest box and it was broken.  I am worried they might develop a taste for eggs if this keeps happening.  They are fed layers mash and have plenty of grit.  I give them a handful of corn too and chunks of lettuce.  Any advice please?
Gardening Granny

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
soft shelled eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:40 »
Make sue they have crushed oyster shell as well as grit !!!  She'll get the hang of hard eggs but some extra calcium won't go amiss :D

soft shelled eggs
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 22:21 »
I have had the smae problems with my fave chook Bob, she was the first to come into lay and we had no probs for the first 4 weeks but her last two eggs have had only a little shell.  todays came out when she was pootling about outside and she and the other 3 hens scoffed it up, rather weird to watch.......
they have access to grit and oyster shell and all the other hens have been fine.  i ahve been giving them greens too.  Could rice or pasta make a difference as they do have this for a treat as well as mixed corn?

muntjac

soft shelled eggs
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 14:13 »
pasta will cause them to maybe get sour crop .birds eat seeds and pellets because they get to grind it up ....treats are for special occasions ....  :wink: loads dandelion leaves or lettuce for now . she will lay bigger eggs as she gets older i would think  :)
still alive /............

xx
soft eggs sorted but now she's eating the hard shelled eggs!!!

Started by wolverine on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 19, 2010, 21:23
by orchardlady
xx
Soft shelled eggs

Started by Chuckles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 00:26
by pushrod
question
Soft Shelled Eggs???

Started by leggygirls on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 14:49
by leggygirls
xx
Soft Shelled eggs

Started by janeheritage on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 11, 2009, 08:20
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 38 queries.