Moving Rhubarb

• 7 Replies

fletch

• Experienced Member
Moving Rhubarb
« on: September 30, 2007, 14:18 »
As an indication as to how badly overgrown my plot is  :oops:  I FOUND a rhubarb plant today!

It's in totally the wrong place and I would like to move it, is now a good time? It's very leggy and the leaves are holey due to being swamped but other than that looks healthy.

Thanks,

Fletch
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

Trillium

Moving Rhubarb
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 14:28 »
As the plant is shutting down for winter, you could move it now. Dig as much of it as you can in one clump and put it into an already prepared hole. The new hole should be dug deep and well, and contain lots of old manure or compost. Put the new root in so that the crown is slightly above ground level and pack the soil in well around it so that soil slopes down from the crown. This avoids any future waterlogging. Water if you're not getting much rain and leave it for spring.

penlee

moving rhubarb
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 20:06 »
Moved my rhubarb today.Dug a trench & put in some old cow dung,turned 2 crowns into 4.Surprised how big the roots were.May have to go easy on the picking next year as Ive read they dont like the stress of being moved.
I,m glad I was born here in Cornwall,where pasties are out of this world,where the rich saffron cake that the Cornish girls make keeps the hairs on your chest tightly curled.

muntjac

Moving Rhubarb
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 20:09 »
dont pick the first few sticks until july then you can pick half . the rhizomes need the first of the sun on its leaves to restore the sugars and nutrients to it . picking in the warmer weather wil bring on new leaves a plenty  :wink:
still alive /............

sweet nasturtium

Moving Rhubarb
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 21:29 »
I've got one that needs replanting too.  Where's the best place to put it?  I hear they need space and can't be dug around.

muntjac

Moving Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 21:31 »
Quote from: "nasturtium"
I've got one that needs replanting too.  Where's the best place to put it?  I hear they need space and can't be dug around.

you give em as much space as you want to even down to enclosing em . feeding is what counts . as fer being dug around ...... new one to me  :wink:

sweet nasturtium

Moving Rhubarb
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2007, 21:39 »
This lot told me about the spacing.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: moving rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 21:41 »
Quote from: "penlee"
Moved my rhubarb today.Dug a trench & put in some old cow dung,turned 2 crowns into 4.Surprised how big the roots were.May have to go easy on the picking next year as Ive read they dont like the stress of being moved.

Having found some on Mrs. Digger's plot I tried to dig mine out to give me more space.

Grew back twice as big.  IMHO to have to go some to stress rhubarb.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Moving Rhubarb

Started by Sparkie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 15:15
by Sparkie
xx
Moving Rhubarb

Started by nothinghasdiedyet on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2008, 19:57
by Trillium
xx
Moving Rhubarb

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 17:40
by Trillium
xx
moving Rhubarb

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2019, 10:45
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 38 queries.