A few Newbie questions...

• 20 Replies

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
Re: A few Newbie questions...
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2010, 12:10 »
If you have the space you could just pile up all your big woody weeds such as brambles in one corner, and with any luck they will be colonised by useful wildlife such as hedgehogs. I have a pile on my plot where I throw all the weeds that can't be composted, and they usually shrivel up and die before they can continue growing. The  pile tends to stay the same size as things rot down.
I wouldn't worry about weed seeds in your compost, as somebody has  said already, you will always have weeds so just think of them as next year's compost. The hard thing as a beginner is recognising which weeds can be composted and which can't, but you will soon learn. If in doubt throw them on the 'pile'. If you haven't done so already, get a compost bin set up as a priority.
Stones can be used on paths, if you are having them.
finally, I think your comfrey will need a bit more room than it will have in the toilet!
Rachael

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2010, 10:31 »
that's a good job there, very hard worker!! judging by the photo's your soil condition is very good and looks pretty soft. just give it a last rotivate and all looks good.

with regards to weeds, i have found out that if i put weeds expecially the dandelions in my green wheelie bin they tend to grow for some strange reason but i am guessing its the fact that the green is decomposing. i would personly throw the first lot away. unless you have something that generates a lot of raw heat and would kill them off for good.

With regards to stones, leave them in. stones are good at retaining heat which is what helps with seeds germinating or encourage the roots to grow further. bricks and other rubble i would get rid off.

with a plot that big i would get hold of old planks of wood used by scafholding people, erect them up length way and make a pathway in the middle made with wood  chippings and split the plot into sections, that way you can easily reach sections of your plot to work or grow things without tramplng on other growth.

happy growing!

Thrift

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 11:06 »
If you have masses of stones, as I do, you can pick out all the small ones and use to make paths. Just lay some timber edging and fill in as you go.

Larger stones have endless uses. Mix cement and build.... containers, raised beds, bases for a seat and you can cement that glass in as well. Have fun.  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 15:11 »
Good for you! It's hard work at the beginning but, all of a sudden, when you think you don't seem to be making any progress, you will go down there and - wow - it's looking good. I like your toilet with comfrey - I thought it was a "weed!"  :lol: :lol: :lol:
Re- the bits of glass - you might find them easier to spot when the sun shines on them after rain which will bring them to the surface and be easier to see, I'd take some plasters and ointment down the lottie just in case.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 18:05 »
I'd take some plasters and ointment down the lottie just in case.

I'd also recommend you check your tetanus shot is uptodate - it's a risk on the lotty and if you are at risk of getting cuts on your hands then the (admittedly small) risk is increased.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyP

• Flickr Album
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2010, 23:46 »
Thanks for all the replies. It's all really helpful.

I like the idea of having a pile of wood/brambles for wildlife to live in...I'm also thinking of sinking a small pond in the far corner to attract frogs to come and eat the slugs!

I've got hold of some wood chippings too so will be laying some paths once I've got more of the weeds up.

I've laid some more paving slabs (3'x2's 1.5" thick) which are REALLY heavy! But it makes a nice little patio by the shed for sitting out and drinking tea!

Ooh, and Yorkie...I'm up to date on tetanus...I've got a bit of a habit of cutting myself with saws etc whilst DIYing!

Someone has been dumping soil on my allotment at night. I don't know who it is. The plot thickens.

xx
Help a Newbie questions please

Started by Seefoodandeatit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 06, 2018, 11:18
by sunshineband
xx
Very newbie questions!

Started by Elswhere on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 20:10
by Elswhere
xx
More newbie questions

Started by pulse on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 24, 2008, 14:44
by cawdor2001
xx
newbie with questions

Started by de80 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 08:56
by de80

Page created in 0.31 seconds with 38 queries.