can you grow tomatoes outside 'up north'?

• 12 Replies

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« on: March 07, 2007, 14:31 »
Hiya

We grew lots of tomatoes in the conservatory last year (haven't got a greenhouse), and would love to grow more, so they would have to be outdoor toms.

Will they grow outdoors OK in the North of England?

Are there any particular tomatoes that grow good outside?

I'm new at this, last year was my first attempt at veggie growing (wont be bothering with brassicas this year, lol).

Thanks
herbiegrowsbananas

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 14:44 »
Yep, the two I grow are Gardeners delight and Moneymaker.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 15:48 »
yup I am in Middlesbrough (Brrrrr) and grew loads outside in growbags. In fact the ones outside were far better than theones in the greenhouse..

frazzy

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 16:14 »
also try subartic plenty if you like cherry toms. they will tolerate colder conditions taste ok too
Nature teaches more than she preaches. There are no sermons in stones. It is easier to get a spark out of a stone than a moral.  byJohn Burroughs:

moz

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 23:43 »
Im in Teesside and we have had loads of success with GArdeners delight. We initially grew them undercover but put them outside when they went  bit wild, only to find that this made them even wilder and we ended up with pounds of Toms that we couldnt really keep up with (we had 18 plants in 6 grow bags). This year we are starting them off under cover in our small mini greenhouse and then its all outdoors from late pring onwards for the sun and bees to do their bit !

Cheers,
Moz

herbiegrowsbananas

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 15:46 »
Hiya

Thanks for that, I've got Gardeners Delight, and have just gone and got some grow bags. Can't wait till

Do I plant straight into the growbags? (Sorry if I'm dumb, lol).

Cheers!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 15:52 »
Start them off in a seed tray then transplant into module or pots until they get about 3 inches high and the weather has settled and started to warm, harden them off by putting outside during the day and bringing them at night, then once all risk of frost has gone pop them into the grow bag and sit and wait. O, dont forget to water  :wink:

ziggywigs

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 16:08 »
I grew moneymaker and garderners delight outside.....although it has to be said in the Highlands you notice the difference if we get a good summer in the amount and quality.  :)

My neighbour grows his outside in baskets every year...and always seems to get a good crop so it must be pretty sheltered where he hangs em.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 16:20 »
Coming from the other side of the pond, I'm not sure just how cold it gets at the tip of Scotland by ARtic Circle  :lol:  but my mum lives in an area that gets late frost in early July and first fall frost mid August, so she definitely has cold weather issues. She successfully grows the subarctic tomatoes, aka Russian tomatoes bred for such weather. Neighbours of hers grow them outside as well, but by the end of August, they build makeshift greenhouses of 2x2's and plastic sheeting just to keep the frost off and let the toms ripen on the vines - the only way they taste good. They have luck as well. Its a bit extra work but what is the crop worth to you?  :wink:

ziggywigs

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 16:22 »
We're definitely not as cold as Canada...interested in the Russian tomatoes...is that the name they go by or is there something specific?

agapanthus

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2007, 16:40 »
Quote from: "herbiegrowsbananas"
Hiya

Thanks for that, I've got Gardeners Delight, and have just gone and got some grow bags. Can't wait till

Do I plant straight into the growbags? (Sorry if I'm dumb, lol).

Cheers!

If you put the growbag on it's side you get more soil around the roots :) .....and if you cut the bottom off a largish plant plant 10 inches across...insert this into the cut in the growbag and put more compost in this you can then plant the tomato into this :) Water the growbag and put feed into  the cut-off pot....this is the ring culture method :)
I'm certain you could grow other varieties too if you gave your plants a little bit of protection with a fleece barrier. :)

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2007, 16:45 »
Quote from: "moz"
Im in Teesside and we have had loads of success with GArdeners delight. We initially grew them undercover but put them outside when they went  bit wild, only to find that this made them even wilder and we ended up with pounds of Toms that we couldnt really keep up with (we had 18 plants in 6 grow bags). This year we are starting them off under cover in our small mini greenhouse and then its all outdoors from late pring onwards for the sun and bees to do their bit !

Cheers,

where abouts in Teesside?

Trillium

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2007, 16:48 »
I've temporarily mislaid my heirloom veg catalogue, Ziggy, but I've heard other forum members mention the name before. I believe it goes under the name of Subarctic, or Manitoba (a very frigid area). It originally came from Russia or the Ukraine, so if you check for any references to Russia, that should be the one. Just going out now so I'll look up a few more names for you and post them later as I know there are even paste tomatoes from Russia and likely available to you.
It's the only one my mum can grow - and she lives only 30 minutes from me, yet I can grow any variety I want. It grows fast, short and is quite tasty for all that. She eats it in salads and cans it.  8)

xx
Can I grow Ginger successfully Up North?

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 17, 2015, 20:07
by Kevin67
xx
Sweetcorn - how far north have we managed to grow it

Started by MulesMarinair on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 23:16
by mucky pup
xx
Lautrec Wight - substitute garlic supplied. Will it grow in the north?

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 30, 2012, 18:38
by AnneB
xx
what to grow tomatoes in

Started by helluvatractor on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post May 16, 2007, 21:58
by fatgit

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 38 queries.