I don't have a cold frame

• 8 Replies

tomato-joy

« on: May 09, 2007, 13:20 »
What should I do to help my plants adjust from the  (unheated) greenhouse and the cold, wet outside?

Should I put bottle cloches over them? I've found that they tend to be blown away at the slightest gust - does anyone have any ideas for keeping them fixed?
trying to be organic...

WG.

« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 13:37 »
A fleece is good.  Or cloches.

Pop bottles : I use them on their side. Cut out a rectangular window about 2 inches wide and almost full length. Punch a wee hole at the base (opposite side from the window).

Put a stone or some soil in the top. Lay it on its side and push a cane or wire through the hole. Voila!

Neil

• http://www.beingpetty.co.uk/
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 15:27 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
A fleece is good.  Or cloches.

Pop bottles : I use them on their side. Cut out a rectangular window about 2 inches wide and almost full length. Punch a wee hole at the base (opposite side from the window).

Put a stone or some soil in the top. Lay it on its side and push a cane or wire through the hole. Voila!

Any pictures WG??
I can't picture this  :?

sorry to be a pain
"Every day's a school day!"

ORGANICally minded

WG.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 16:01 »
Quote from: "Neil"
Any pictures WG??
I can't picture this
Your wish is my command ...

Empty - with attractive heathers in background

Full - in use as a seed tray

In use as a cloche over nasturtium (note cane thru hole & stone in neck, but ignore canes in background)

Or use a row of them vertically as a windbreak around tender plants (note cane inside but ignore canes in background)

Better start drinking ...

tomato-joy

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 16:38 »
hmmmm, think my seedlings are a bit bigger than yours.  :wink:

Been growing them up in the greenhouse, and they're about 3-4" high and not sure if the bottle would be wide enough. I need some of those Victorian bell cloches, but they are so expensive.

I might just wait till middle of May, plant everything out and hope that global warming gives us the hottest June on record. Or I might have a hunt in the supermarket for some strange condiment bottles that are wide...something like 5 litres of mustard should do it!

WG.

Re: I don't have a cold frame
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 16:41 »
Quote from: "tomato-joy"
Should I put bottle cloches over them? I've found that they tend to be blown away at the slightest gust - does anyone have any ideas for keeping them fixed?

I deliberately plant things out when they are small.  I reckon they adapt better.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 16:55 »
Would the 6 pint milk bottles be big enough TJ????  using them similar to WG's pop bottles?????

noshed

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 17:19 »
The plastic boxes you get plums and stuff in are good - a bit wider than pop bottles. Just stick a cane through to anchor them.
I managed to get hold of some water containers from a water cooler. They are great once you saw the bottom off.
Also it's not that hard to make a cold frame from some pallet wood and old windows or plastic. Just try a bit of creative bodging.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Neil

• http://www.beingpetty.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 17:22 »
Quote from: "tomato-joy"
hmmmm, think my seedlings are a bit bigger than yours.  :wink:

Been growing them up in the greenhouse, and they're about 3-4" high and not sure if the bottle would be wide enough. I need some of those Victorian bell cloches, but they are so expensive.

I might just wait till middle of May, plant everything out and hope that global warming gives us the hottest June on record. Or I might have a hunt in the supermarket for some strange condiment bottles that are wide...something like 5 litres of mustard should do it!

Thanks for the pics WG - now i get it!! :roll:

a good idea methinks.

joy, get hold of some of the 5litre mineral water bottles from the supermarket, that should do it.....

xx
what can I put in cold frame now

Started by prakash_mib on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 11:51
by noshed
xx
What to with cold frame now

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 20:31
by DD.
xx
Cold Frame

Started by Praxxus on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 07:44
by pink aubergine
question
Cold Frame

Started by Woodhousemoor on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 07, 2011, 13:51
by Woodhousemoor

Page created in 0.317 seconds with 38 queries.