The great escape!

• 4 Replies

Andrew4613

The great escape!
« on: December 16, 2011, 19:24 »
Had my first hen escapee today!!

Got home from work and was told my speckledy hen had been free ranging on my neighbours veg plot!!
I'd recently made changes to the run to make it more chicken proof because they were managing to jump up onto a 6ft Fench even though they were clipped so I thought I had secured my girls. But today I have today learnt a valuable lesson.....make sure you properly close the gate behind you!!!!!

I'm surprised only one decided to venture out but am thankful to my neighbour who caught and returned "Steve McCluck" back to her enclosure.

I'm loving having hens and am learning things by the day....can't wait for the first egg!!

Andy

walker

Re: The great escape!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 21:58 »
It must be a speckledy (speckled star) thing, when we brought our new chucks home we had one of our speckled stars escape she managed to take off and fly above the childrens swing and climbing frame 7ft tall she then landed on the compost bin and promptly flew Straight through the conifur hedge, she was missing for 6 hours then a knock at the door "we have a chicken in our garden eating our flowers" oops my reply would you like some fresh eggs !.
It made naming her very easy houdini. :D
One light Sussex , two bluebells, two white stars, two speckled stars , two cream legbars.

orionsquare

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2011, 21:12 »
We had our own great escape today. The bl**dy Council contractors had been to clear up after their job today. They somehow managed to get into our rear garden by breaking our lock on the rear gate. Although we were at home they did not bother to knock to ask. They then left the garden gate open which of course the hens decided our neighbour's garden is greener and so they all legged it next door. Hubby got them back by shaking the mixed corn container the first time at 9:30am

The bl**ming workers again entered and left the rear gate open and the hens were again in the neighbour's garden at 11:30am. The corn container did not work the next time as they were full up from eating dry corn at 9:30am.  Papi the speckled hen was leading the flock but she fell for my fresh corn on the cob container (special square food box) as she thought I had fresh corn for her so she followed me. Lucky for me, save for 2 hens, the rest followed Papi and I led them back to the rear garden.

In the end, I had to catch 2 of them by chasing them around the neighbour's garden.

We were down by £15 today having to go to B&Q to buy a new hasp and a strong padlock.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2011, 21:05 »
Had my first hen escapee today!!

Got home from work and was told my speckledy hen had been free ranging on my neighbours veg plot!!
I'd recently made changes to the run to make it more chicken proof because they were managing to jump up onto a 6ft Fench even though they were clipped so I thought I had secured my girls. But today I have today learnt a valuable lesson.....make sure you properly close the gate behind you!!!!!

I'm surprised only one decided to venture out but am thankful to my neighbour who caught and returned "Steve McCluck" back to her enclosure.

I'm loving having hens and am learning things by the day....can't wait for the first egg!!

Andy

:D :D :D  Soooooooooooooo funny  :blink:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2011, 11:49 »
Speckledies go to a beat of their own drummer.  Mavericks all!   :happy:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
escape artists

Started by rachelr on Chicken Chat

10 Replies
Last post March 26, 2011, 12:19
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Hen had a lucky escape

Started by Oliveview on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 20:19
by NormandyMary
xx
Blimmin escape artists!

Started by Casey76 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 18:09
by New shoot
xx
The great escapee.

Started by NormandyMary on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 17:15
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 38 queries.