Should I leave water and food in hut overnight?

• 14 Replies

SamT

Should I leave water and food in hut overnight?
« on: April 01, 2010, 15:30 »
When we got the chickens we were told they didnt eat or drink at night and therefore not to put food or water in their hut, and I am just wondering if this is right?  I have had them for 6 months and it doesnt seem to bother them, they come out and have a good drink and nosh up in the morning, but should I leave some in the hut just in case?

ehs284

Re: Should I leave water and food in hut overnight?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 15:42 »
There are a few old posts on this subject, worth a trawl, but the summary is that the majority do not. It becomes a problem with spilled food and water. Having said that I built a side piece which holds food and water and overhangs the coop. Anything spilled goes outside. There are two holes for access and a cover over the whole at night. This seems to work and they can eat here during the day if they want. It makes me feel better just in case I don't get to open them up in the morning for any reason.

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 16:49 »
i leave water in the house all the time even at night so when its raining like now if they stay in the house during the day they at least dont have to get wet going outside to get some , and i sprinkle a handfull of corn in there at night to get them in bed easier  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 18:18 »
No is the short answer.  Below is the rather longer one.

There's a tendancy for over protective keepers to treat chx like people and expect them to behave in the same way as we do.  A chicken house isn't a house in the same sense that we have houses with living acommodation, they are really just substitutes for safe secure roosts so in fact they only need to provide roosting accommodation.  Assuming they are "free range" there's no need to provide them with 'dining rooms' and 'lounge areas' or any floor space not needed for access to their roosts.   Also for convenience most houses also have nestboxes, though you can equally have external boxes if you wish.  Chx should have an exercise area outside in the form of a run or ranging area they spend the daylight hours in foraging.  Their food, water and shelter from the elements should be provided for in their run.  Placing feeders in the house just encourages them to constantly go in and out causing the house to be fouled more than necessary and increasing your maintenance load and making the roosts less sanitary.  Spilled food and water adds to the messy unsanitary conditions.

On this topic I often see houses with inadequate roosting accomodation with just a single roosting pole across a large area of floor space.  The exact opposite of what is required.  Roosts are best implemented as grills of roosting poles (rounded rectangular bars 5cm x 3cm is ok) suspended around 20cm above a droppings area so their droppings fall through the poles (rails) onto an absorbant litter covered floor which the chx have no access to.  The grill of poles can be sloped upwards from front to back so early roosting birds move away from the walkway.  This arrangement prevents them scratching around in their droppings and walkways can be kept to the minimum necessary to enable them to mount the perches and nestboxes.    Adopting this way of husbandry there's no need to poo pick the house and a good fortnightly clean out is all that's needed (though you can if you feel the need of course).  With no requirement to provide food and drink the house can be much smaller than many people think and a largely roosting area of 1sq foot per medium sized L/F is well adequate and allows them to huddle up for warmth in winter on cold nights.  Having lots of open floor space discourages them from roosting properly and they often sleep on the floor in the litter or in the nestboxes.  It's often the case when keepers post about their birds not roosting or using the nestboxes they've really caused the problem by not providing adequate roosts. 

A well thought through house design incorporates good husbandry practise catering for the needs of the chx along with easy of maintenance and robust durability in use.

All the best
HF
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 18:27 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Sopho

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 19:09 »
I totally agree with Hillfooter,

They are chickens not children!! I have never left food or water in with mine and they are fine! It does of course encourage and vermin that are around at dusk and night!!

Sopho

tuffty

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 01:06 »
Hi

I used to leave food and water overnight but have found it has now created a rat problem for myself which l have now got to deal with.

All food and water now is in the run which the birds can access freely. The feeder l have hung up to deter rats also and it seems to be working at the moment.

Snoop

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 13:04 »
Hillfooter, that was a fascinating post.

I asked a question on a thread earlier about how far the perch should be from the back wall. Do you have any views on this? I think I've pretty well met the conditions you outline (apart from the fact that I clean them out every day!) but my two hens still seem to want to squat down together on the floor in the hay. It's possible that this is a previously ingrained habit (the previous owner didn't have perches in the henhouse), but I'd be interested to hear your views.

My two hens are bantams, but others may be glad to have this information.

ehs284

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 18:20 »
Hi Snoop (and forgive me Hillfooter for barging in - just thought you might not have bantams),

My perches are 300mm from each other and 300 from the wall. They are staggered with the one nearest the wall being the highest. I wondered if this might be a little close, but most of the birds seem happy with this distance, including two Pekin bantams, and use all the tiers - the exception being two tiny white bantams who like to be at the highest point and prefer to be well above the others, so have made them a perch at 90 degrees at the end of the other perches. All perches are rounded 38x60mm. HTH

min200

• adayinthelifeofmin
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 20:04 »
I have built a large coop for my girls (6ft x 6ft)  and I hang their food and water in there.  There is also food and water outside the coop but at least on the odd (rare!) occasion I am not up at the crack of dawn they have access to what they need. 

It doesnt seem to have done any harm for my exbatts and with it all being hung there are no problems with vermin etc.   

I used an old two teir hutch which I converted to nest boxes and put in perches in a few places but my girls still all huddle up together in one box at night :blink: :blink:  I have tried to put them on the perch's but they always end up back in the boxes :D :D  They seem content enough!!

Well thats my two pennith worth!! (there really doesnt seem to be any hard fast rules does there!!)

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 20:30 »
its each to their own as the saying goes , my dogs and  horses dont go without water at night and neither do my girls pretty much every night each   girl will always have a drink with the handful of corn i put in there each night an then they fly up onto the perches an go to sleep i know as i sneak the door open an watch them , if the house is secure then  you should not get a prob with vermin.

hillfooter

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 23:48 »
Hillfooter, that was a fascinating post.

I asked a question on a thread earlier about how far the perch should be from the back wall. Do you have any views on this? I think I've pretty well met the conditions you outline (apart from the fact that I clean them out every day!) but my two hens still seem to want to squat down together on the floor in the hay. It's possible that this is a previously ingrained habit (the previous owner didn't have perches in the henhouse), but I'd be interested to hear your views.

My two hens are bantams, but others may be glad to have this information.

Hi Snoop,

Check out this link which shows and describes the features of the Forsham Lenham it could be any other house with similar features but as mine are Lenhams I'm more familiar wth these houses.
http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/poultry-housing/cat-prod-lenham-poultry-housing.htm

See the internal photos down RHS.  Note the perches consist of a grill of bars of approx 6cm wide spaced 6cm apart which slope upwards from the floor walkway to the side walls.  One side wall has the nestboxes and is removable and the other is a plain wall also removable.  Hence it is very easy to clean out from under the perches if you want to poo pick, or the perches and central U channel floor can be lifted out leaving a completely flat flor to sweep out.  The U channel floor serves as a skip to sweep the litter into.

Some would say that the perches should be higher than these but it's not essential and this arrangement is certainly efficient on space.  Note with this grill arrangement they can easily huddle together more like the natural situation you would find in a tree or bush see attached photo of some Legbars roosting in a tree.  Not that I advocate this but their droppings would fall nicely through the branches and not foul them.

HF
Legbars roosted in tree WEB.jpg
Internals3-t.jpg

hillfooter

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 00:07 »
One other reason I like Lenhams.  This one's ten years old as is it's sledge.  You can't do this with a shed!
HF
House on the move WEB.jpg
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 00:11 by hillfooter »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 07:55 »
If you look inside an eglu the roosting bars are just wooden or plastic (depends on how old your eglu is) and these fit over the floor area allowing the droppings to fall onto the pull out tray. These work perfectly well and no need to borrow Hillfooters tractor  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:42 »
These work perfectly well and no need to borrow Hillfooters tractor  :D

Wot and no fun!!

I'm not familiar with EGLUs but from what I've read and heard from users they are very practical and probably the best for parasite control as they have few hideaways and can be washed out completely clean.  If you like the looks and can afford the cost and they provide the basic features which are essential they should definitely be considered. 

They probably look more in place in an urban garden setting than in an open rural field and I certainly prefer a more traditiional wooden house for my purposes.  Also I'd worry about their attractiveness for thieves in a field as they look easy to lift are so valuable and attractive for many people.  None the less they and other houses with the design features we've discussed are all candidates for a successful set up.

HF

Snoop

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 13:08 »
Fantastic info, with special thanks to ehs284 and especially hillfooter.

xx
do ducks need water and food overnight

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 20:44
by rossivale
xx
Do Pullets need water overnight?

Started by kegs on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 20, 2011, 12:51
by ManicMum
question
Food and water!

Started by birds in a basket on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2010, 08:37
by Sassy
xx
Water/food in or out?

Started by Jacinta on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 18:47
by SoniaBA

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 30 queries.