Thin Shelled Eggs for 2 Months from my Oldest Layer

• 6 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
Thin Shelled Eggs for 2 Months from my Oldest Layer
« on: April 26, 2013, 17:46 »
Hello all

Milly, my first chicken started laying thin shelled eggs a couple of months ago. She is still laying every day, but they are getting broken in the nest box when all the others go in to lay, so its a terrible mess every day.

They have grit and oystershell all the time, and pretty much eat just layers pellets (good quality), very few treats (I am mean!!!!), so I know she is getting a decent diet. I do see her at the shell and grit pot so I know she does have some of that too.

I have tried Poultry Tonic (a friend suggested it) and that hasnt made any difference.

Any other ideas???

Many thanks

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Thin Shelled Eggs for 2 Months from my Oldest Layer
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 19:30 »
Green leafy vegetables help poultry to absorb the calcium they need for strong shells.  Another thing you could try is limestone flour but just a small amount, I think I got mine from Shelled Warriors on eBay.  Sometimes there is nothing you can do especially when they are stopping laying for good.  I hope it works for your hen.   :D
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 21:26 »
It makes such a dreadful mess in the nest box!

Will try some greens, and a bit of limestone flour.

Thanks - she's still in charge out there, with or without eggs! I would almost prefer her to stop laying than the current situation.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 11:56 »
I had a Bovan Goldline that had the same problem on and off since we got her at 22 weeks old.  She was also top hen and first to get more than her fair share of anything going.  I think that contributed but mainly it was in her DNA.  She did make a real mess of the nest box and all the other hens eggs.  Now her sister seems to be going the same way with weak shells so I think she is nearing the end of her laying as she is 2 years 9 months old.   :(

Zyg

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2013, 13:16 »
Oyster shell worked a treat for my hens with this issue. Plus if you give your hens too many treats they can end up with an unbalanced diet and a deficiency in calcium. :)
Zyg.
(I should have been born a farmer...)

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20 »
You should definitely try the suggestions above but I had a hen that always laid thin-shelled eggs, whilst all of my other hens laid very strong shelled-eggs. It just happens sometimes :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:45 »
I have been giving my hens this oyster shell grit, but mixed it up with layers mash, made up like a porridge, they get it fiorst thing in the morning, and they make a beeline straight for it, also I have baked and ground up egg shells (so its like a dust, in a coffee grinder) and mixed that in with it, it seems to have done the trick for my hens, but they never laid thin shelled eggs, just a egg like a jelly
It's all about the journey, not the destination

xx
now getting thin shelled eggs

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 05, 2012, 20:07
by moomoos42
xx
Still getting some thin shelled eggs!

Started by Penny Finn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2008, 21:58
by Aunt Sally
xx
thin shelled eggs

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 17:09
by joyfull
xx
Thin shelled eggs edible?

Started by grinling on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 22:07
by grinling

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 38 queries.