Peach Tree - Pot or Bed?

• 2 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
Peach Tree - Pot or Bed?
« on: November 12, 2014, 11:52 »
Hi,

I've ordered a Rochester Peach from RV Rogers.  It's on Krymsk 86 rootstock.  It's to go in the Polytunnel but I can't decide whether to put it into a half barrel sized pot or into a raised bed.  I did notice that all my raised beds seemed to outperform containers this first year...

Also,  ordered a seedless dessert grape vine.  It's often said that they like to be planted outside and then trained in through a hole but this will be difficult in a PT.  We also live in a wet part of the country and I've read they don't like being waterlogged.  So would planting straight into a be be an option for the vine?

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Adri

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
Re: Peach Tree - Pot or Bed?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 17:24 »
Now planted 2 different peaches in the raised beds. I think they are 3 year plus trees and have the 'goblet' shape already.

I know the convention is to take off all fruit for the first year but would it be terribly bad to let a couple of fruit grow per tree? Would be nice to see just a little of what's to come....
Peak Hives

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: Peach Tree - Pot or Bed?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 08:54 »
I know the convention is to take off all fruit for the first year but would it be terribly bad to let a couple of fruit grow per tree?
I always leave one or two on new fruit trees, just so I can check that they look & taste like the variety I though I had bought!  Taking the fruit off helps conserve the plants energy for development, rather than fruiting, but I don't think that one or two fruits is going to be a big strain.

xx
Peach tree pruning?

Started by adri123 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2016, 21:15
by adri123
xx
mulching a peach tree?

0 Replies
Last post December 20, 2015, 19:58
by adri123
xx
Peach Tree Flowers?

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2016, 10:39
by Trikidiki
xx
Which Peach for a PT?

0 Replies
Last post May 10, 2014, 10:01
by adri123

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 38 queries.