DOG help?????

• 11 Replies

matilda duck

DOG help?????
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:11 »
Maybe it's me that needs help really ::).  We have a beautiful 3yr old Irish Setter. He is well trained sort of. He will sit on comand of a finger. He will NOT eat unless told to, he will shake a paw, he has NEVER growled at anyone, he can run on a walk and forget the rules for coming back ::).  But I can cope with all that I can't cope with the constant barking/yapping >:( :mad:
I bought a thing to put round his neck to give him a slight shock ( that I controlled)  ;) 2 batteries later in a week and he still yapps >:( .

Once he gets tired of barking he scratches the patio doors >:(  we now have frosted glass one side thanks to his scratching.

I love him to pieces but he really is driving me to the brink.  Any help is appreciated :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: DOG help?????
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:16 »
I tried the collar that gives out a puff of powder to stop one of mine barking and that didn't work, neither did a shock one to stop her running off. Some people use a water sprayer or mister to stop them barking. Never did cure mine, but she is no longer with me now, so can't help you I'm afraid.
Staffies are softer than you think.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 10:38 »
What is it that sets the dog off? Is it when it is left on its own as dogs are pack animals and hate being on their own. When you shut the door on a dog as far as it knows you might be disappearing for ever. If this is the case a radio left on a talk station will sometimes be enough company to keep them quiet.

matilda duck

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:52 »
He tends to be ok when left in the house..the radio is always left on for him.  It's always when I put him outside.  You know when they go out in a morning for a wee and such.  He can't just lie down and enjoy outside???  We have a stable door so we always leave that open so he knows we havn't gone anywhere....and still he barks >:(

Knight Family

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 11:12 »
We always used the water treatment on our oldest, e.g. spray of water or in the end a glass of water. She got the idea after a couple of days but have you watched the Dog Wisper, I'm sure they had a case on that and they ended up giving the dog an inside space.
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

SarahJC

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 11:32 »
I thought of the lovely Caesar Milan also. He can come and train our cats anytime  :lol:

He has a book out and maybe a dvd.

Maybe he gets excited. Your setter that is, not Caesar.
8 chickens, 5 cats, 2 guinea pigs and 1 other half.

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 12:20 »
Is he barking at something (you, neighbours cat...)? It's weird he's not coming back in if the doors open. What stops him barking and makes him come in? Do you call him? Maybe barking is his sign for invite me back in.

oddpaws

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 13:34 »
Has he always done this or is it something new?
If he has always done it can you pin point what set him off?
Perhaps he needs to be de-sesitised to something.
Also does he bark etc when you are outside with him?
a mum is for life..not just for cleaning! ;@)

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 20:15 »
seems to me that hes simply pining for you as he knows your close by , constantly talk to him to reasure him then slowly lower your voice over time an walk away it may work . its  agood job you dont own a samoyed then  :lol: :lol: :lol: they are only known for their sledging an barking .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Rubellite

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2009, 22:52 »
Sorry, can't help, got 4 terriers now and have never been able to control the yapping!!
They learn from one another  :(
Just hope it doesn't rub off on the pointer puppy  ::)

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 06:55 »
Be glad to offer help if I knew a little more information.
Where is he looking when he is barking?
We went through a phase when one of ours barked at the sky. On careful observation she was barking at aeroplanes. Well she is a gundog!
I would recommend distraction of a sort but not a reward type distraction because that will reinforce the barking.
Forget the electric collar, they are useless unless properly used and to stop barking is not a proper use because you do not control the stimulus.
I suspect the barking is an encouragement for you to go out and play with him.
Do you go out to stop him barking?
If you do you are rewarding the barking behaviour withthe one thing all dogs crave, attention.
As I said all of these are stabs in the dark  without having more to go on.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

pawsnclaws

• Experienced Member
    • my web site
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 21:31 »
i think it is a case of leaving him for a second with out barking going back leaving him a bit loanger going back and prasing him only if he does not bark ect ect do you get me drift  :)

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.