Weekend feeders

• 11 Replies

falcieri

Weekend feeders
« on: July 30, 2011, 09:23 »
Hi all,

Having been let down once again by someone who enthusiastically offered to look after my girls for a weekend whilst I was away I have resolved to purchase some weekend feeders and drinkers to keep them in food and water whilst I am away. The neighbours next door will ensure they are safe but I don't trust them to feed them on a regular basis since they have already let me down once as well and I need to know food and water are on tap.

I am going away on a Friday evening and will be back Sunday late afternoon. One, is this feasible and two what size would I need. I have seen 6 litre feeders but would this be enough? I have 3 bantam hens a year old.

This is the sort of thing I am looking at: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-CHICKEN-POULTRY-FEEDERS-DRINKERS-1-3-6-LITRES-/320689424893?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Birds&var=&hash=item76c02d5614#ht_500wt_922

but if someone can recommend such a thing, do let me know.

With thanks.

orchardlady

Re: Weekend feeders
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 10:04 »
I have used these type of water feeders before for chicks and their mother, however I find that they tend to get knocked over quite easily and so it would possibly put your birds at risk of being without water. Of course it's not ideal to leave them too long without some kind of regular check but one thing I use and find quite successful as it doesn't get kicked over is to get hold of a used plastic milk bottle, the largest you can find. Think Cravendale or the semi transparent plastic milk containers/bottles sold in supermarkets. Wash out carefully and then reattach the lid, making sure it's good and tight. Lay the bottle on it's side and cut a hole out of the last 2 inches of the side and an inch or two of the base. Put it in the chickens run and fill with water to overflowing. A few of these scattered around would be a cheap and disposable option for the water side of your problem. Not very aesthetically pleasing but they do the job. As for food as long as it's kept dry from the rain any very large and reasonably shallow container will do.

Orchardlady. :)

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 10:06 »
I have 5 litre feeders and drinkers and they would certainly be big enough. I would recommend at least another drinker to allow for a spillage with the original. I have a hanging one and have never had a problem. Also hang a couple of cabbages at the last minute before you leave to help occupy them. I don't know what terrain they are on but before I go away soon I shall be purchasing a roll of turf from B and Q they are only about £3 and again that gives them some interest. As long as the run is fox proof they should be fine. Don't think mine will be talking to me after a fortnights no free ranging. I have someone to check on them but I doubt they will hang around long enough for the girls to have a wander. Have a good weekend away

falcieri

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 19:25 »
Thank you everyone. This is very useful. I was also worried about the containers being tipped over. I may go with the hanging variety in that case. Also a good tip about the roll of turf! I was also going to invest in a few cabbages to hang around the pen at strategic points.

The neighbours will keep an eye on them over the fence and we are fox proof so I'm sure they will be fine security wise. Although my girls are generally free rangers they are used to being closed in for a couple of days if I have to be out all day, it's just the nights that are unusual for them but at least it's the right time of year.  :) Thanks all!

falcieri

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 20:04 »
It says this is for chicks but it has quite a capacity if you attach a full size bottle to it. I was going to put a supporting bracket on the side of the pen to keep the bottle in place and prevent them from knocking it over. I'm guessing there is an option for hanging this to if I put a hook through the bottom of the bottle. Thoughts?

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/info_ukal3l.html

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 20:39 »
This is what i have for a back up as I had this when my girls were chicks. Just make sure you have it on some blocks of wood or bricks as they do kick lots of dirt into it. Like you say it's the right time of year if you have to leave them as I don't shut the coop door at the moment.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 23:17 »
These are the ones we use. There is a 12 litre size as well, and they have feet to raise them 3 inches off the ground, but I don't see any mention of the feet on this advert.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-LITRE-HEAVY-DUTY-POULTRY-DRINKER-HEN-CHICKEN-/300370080146?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item45ef73b192

Solways do them too and they include the feet!

http://www.solwayfeeders.com/categories/plastic-drinkers-c436.html

These are much sturdier than the drinkers you were looking at.

falcieri

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 20:34 »
I ended up buying two really sturdy units that I could hang. They are 6 kg and 6 litre and when they turned up they looked huge! Anyway I filled them and put them in the pen to give the girls a chance to get used to them and they started using them straight away so they've been a great hit and there is more than enough to last them a weekend. I feel relieved!  :D

jennie hennie

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 21:35 »
Have you tried Freecycle for spare bits of turf?
I picked up some oddments for my 2 bantams this way.
Jennie Hennie

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 22:14 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

Dominic

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 09:27 »
Mine have two 3kg drinkers, which seem to last about a week, unless they knock them over. (I change it more often)
Food is trickier.

They wont eat food if its gotten wet, so for a weekend, you really need feeders with a hat.

http://www.happychicks.co.uk/mall/productpage.cfm/Happychicksshop/_67393/407534/Outdoor%20Feeder%20for%20Chickens%20and%20Hens%20with%20Rain%20Hat

Mine have two of those.
3kg should last three bantams at least a week
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 10:07 »
I used to hang my water container but occasionally it would empty very quickly and I realised the wind blowing it would empty it so be aware. ::)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
feeders

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2008, 14:10
by WR1
xx
how many feeders?

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 08:17
by dizzylizzie
xx
feeders in or out

Started by audi on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 26, 2010, 08:34
by joyfull
xx
feeders

Started by chicken king on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 08:28
by adi

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 40 queries.