Introducing a cockerel

• 6 Replies

bantam novice

Introducing a cockerel
« on: September 19, 2010, 17:38 »
Hello all,
I have had my girls together for over a month now and they all seem settled together with the pecking order sorted.  I was wondering about introducing a cockerel.  
I know that I will have to quarentine him to begin with and I have a little house with a run that I can do this.  
I was wondering about introducing him to my girls.  My idea is to have them in sight of each other and when the quarentine is over to put him on the perch in the main house after dark so that they wake up together in the morning.
The other thing I was worried about was keeping him on his own and whether it would not be best to get a girl at the same time.  Then I can quarentine and introduce them together.
Is there any difference between introducing a cockerel and a hen?
Sorry to bombard with questions!
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Introducing a cockerel
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 17:44 »
I've introduced a cockerel on several occasion now banty, with no problems, except the hens have said what the **** is this?  Our peace shattered!! lol

The cockerel is too busy enjoying imself to worry about anything else!

The only negative we knew of was giving Rocky our rescued cockerel to a couple in a pub who had just bought 10 of our Babcocks.  within 2 days they had nearly killed poor old Rocky, so he is now back with us in retirement with his little Goldline girlfriend!

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 18:02 »
 :D Thanks, Grannie.  I hope Rocky is having a happy and peaceful retirement  :)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 22:57 »
He is not a happy Rocky at the moment as he is moulting.  So is Bertie Rooster!  they have lost ALL their tail feathers now, and Rocky's body and legs are nearly bare!  Bertie lost his neck feathers mainly, but the little stubs are coming through now!  :D :D

harry bicker

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 07:48 »
He is not a happy Rocky at the moment as he is moulting.  So is Bertie Rooster!  they have lost ALL their tail feathers now, and Rocky's body and legs are nearly bare!  Bertie lost his neck feathers mainly, but the little stubs are coming through now!  :D :D

Hi Annie, I have three Bantam hens & one TALKING Cockerel. The Hens,  "Doo" "Do-Dell, and "Cocka" are looked after by "Randy" the Cockerel.  He calls for them  BY NAME  frequently throughout the day.
Harry Bicker

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 11:53 »
Welcome to the forum, Harry,  :)  It sounds as if you have a coopfull for characters there! 
Annie, poor Rocky and Bertie! Hopefully they'll recover their plumage and spirits soon  :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 22:37 »
Thanks Banty!  Bertie is starting to grow his new neck feathers, so hopefully their tails won't be too long afterwards!  Poor fellows! Poor old Rocky sounds like he is crying sometimes, but I think its in frustration because his girlfriend can run faster than him!!   :lol: :lol:

Hi Harry and Welcome!  Your cockerel certainly sounds like a clever lad!   :lol: :lol:

So is your name Bicker, or is that where you live?

xx
Introducing a cockerel

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 20:08
by alan42
xx
Introducing a very young cockerel

Started by Laidback on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 10:35
by Casey76
xx
Introducing a new cockerel to the ladies

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 07:45
by Helenaj
xx
2 questions: Davinova C supplement and introducing a cockerel

Started by devonbarmygardener on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2013, 14:09
by devonbarmygardener

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 33 queries.