2 questions: Davinova C supplement and introducing a cockerel

• 4 Replies

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Hi guys

Our hens are a bit stressed for some unknown reason - and I mean jumpy - even if you throw some mealworms to them!
One of the chicken chums said they weren't laying well while I was away (around 4-6 eggs a day) but we only have 9 hens and they aren't all hybrid daily layers so, since I've had 7 eggs on my last 2 days, I don't think there's an issue there.

The breeder we bought them from suggested the Davinova C supplement and gave us some to try - anyone else used it? It's also supposed to discourage feather plucking and encourage new growth.

Also, me and my mate John were wondering wether introducing a batam cockerel might help the ladies out a bit and stop the b*tching that obviously goes on among them.
If this sounds like a good idea, some info on how we do this would be great.

Thankyou in advance. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
My bantam cockerel is scared of my larger ladies.  He spends most of his time chasing my bantam ladies which they are not overly keen on and the rest of the time bragging about his conquests!   ::)

My Aunty couldn't believe how busy he is with the ladies and they say 'they breed like rabbits'.  I think they could easily change that to 'cockerels'.  With 2 bantams with chicks and another wanting to be broody it only leaves 3 for him to chase.  Poor Cilla has taken to escaping from the chicken end of the garden several times a day to avoid his attentions.   :(
shed before and after painting, Cilla 005 (2000 x 1500).jpg
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

devonbarmygardener

The ladies have been without a male for 18months nearly - do you think they would have a problem accepting a cockerel now?
I thought maybe a bantam one might be the better option but if you think a normal size cockerel might be better do advise. :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
I would leave well alone unless you are wanting to breed.  You can get cockerels with really bad attitude that will attack your hens or you, even bantam can do this.  Mine still sees me as top of the pecking order but he is still young so I don't know how long that will last.  Now where did I put that recipe book?!!   :wub:

devonbarmygardener

Thanks m'dear. Will let John know.

question
Introducing a cockerel

Started by bantam novice on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 22:37
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Introducing a cockerel

Started by dawninspain on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 07, 2007, 20:08
by alan42
xx
Introducing a very young cockerel

Started by Laidback on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post July 25, 2011, 10:35
by Casey76
xx
Introducing a new cockerel to the ladies

Started by maggiem on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 13, 2011, 07:45
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.209 seconds with 40 queries.