Two eggs in one day, and now soft shells

• 4 Replies

cliodhna

Two eggs in one day, and now soft shells
« on: June 30, 2013, 12:55 »
I have 6 ex-batts, 2 days ago I had 7 eggs, on which was white rather than brown. Then yesterday I had 6 eggs, one was a soft shelled egg which I presumed was the after-effects of the extra egg the previous day.

But then I've got 6 again today and again one is soft shelled.

They are free range and have access to grit. 

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: Two eggs in one day, and now soft shells
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 15:12 »
When you say they are free range, do they also have layers pellets as their main feed?  If not that could be the problem as well as them being ex-batts they could be coming to the end of their laying lives.  Best to give them mainly layers pellets so they have a balanced diet and access to crushed oyster shell for extra calcium which will help with shell quality.

If they have not been wormed recently it is best to do so with flubenvet as worms can also account for poor quality egg shells.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

cliodhna

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 17:27 »
They have layers pellets as their main diet. And they were wormed when I got them, so about 2 months ago.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:44 »
Keep an eye out for any other symptoms in case they are unable to lay a softie.  If they have access to crushed oyster shell and the problem persists you could try giving them some limestone flour.  They would only need a small amount.  Feeding dark green leafy vegetables will also help them to absorb the calcium they need.

It is possibly that they are near the end of their laying lives and things sometimes start to go haywire in the laying department.  If they are releasing 2 yolks at the same time and not producing a double yolker then it is difficult for them to produce a shell for both eggs.   ;) 

cliodhna

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 14:20 »
It seems all is back to normal now. I had a third day of 3 eggs and one was 1/2 soft shelled and 1/2 normal (really weird how there was a line straight down the middle dividing it) and then yesterday we had 5 normal eggs and today we had 6 normal eggs. So I am presuming she just overdid it producing 2 in one day and then not having a break.

xx
Unformed eggs and soft shells.

Started by debih on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 10:09
by PaulineM
xx
soft shells

Started by rhyddid on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2011, 15:27
by rhyddid
xx
soft shells?????

Started by krystal on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 08:40
by Casey76
xx
Soft shells

Started by ctayts on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 14, 2010, 22:02
by Basil_UK

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 33 queries.