Roma Tomatoes

• 5 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Roma Tomatoes
« on: June 19, 2013, 09:49 »
I have grown Roma tomatoes for making tomato sauce for a few years now but this year and last year I particularly noticed that it was difficult to get them to grow more than a couple of feet an they seem determined to sprout new growth at the bottom instead.  I know they are semi-determinate but they seem 'determined' to grow into a bush.  Has anyone else had experience of this - should I let them get on with it and stop pinching out the sideshoots?  They are in the greenhouse by the way. 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Roma Tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 09:55 »
I thought Roma are a bush tomato.  I never take the sideshoots out, but they do like a big spread.  They took up loads of room in my PT last year.

This year I am not sure if I have any roma as some of my labels washed off, so, apart from one Inca, they will all be treated as cordons!  ;)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 10:09 »
If you have plenty of room for airflow and some further support if needed, I can't see the harm.   :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

olde9856

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 12:02 »
I have grown Roma for years as a bush variety, but stop the leader at about 3ft because sometimes they just keep growing.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 14:48 »
 :D They are a bush tomato and will keep trying to grow that way. But I do always take off the very bottom 2 suckers or whatever I've got so the airflow is better at the bottom of the plant, and I do thin out a few suckers here and there for the same reason. The rest I let grow so I get a good cropping per plant. In fact, I always have to stake mine to keep the weight upright and away from pesky mice who also love toms.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 15:06 »
I'm growing Roma again in the unheated greenhouse and I've got one plant that's particularly stocky and low growing. I've given it support but it's determinedly keeping a low profile so far  :D  I've only removed the side shoots between the branches.  It looks healthy enough so I'm not worrying about it. I shall just have to stoop down to its level to hopefully pick all the fruits  :)

xx
roma tomatoes

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 02:54
by sclarke624
clip
Roma tomatoes

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

39 Replies
Last post July 14, 2020, 21:56
by Yorkie
xx
Roma tomatoes

Started by sam51 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 31, 2019, 14:28
by jambop
xx
Incas and Roma

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 30, 2011, 11:47
by tosca100

Page created in 0.382 seconds with 38 queries.