mulch sheeting

• 9 Replies

chimaera

• Experienced Member
mulch sheeting
« on: May 31, 2008, 21:49 »
I have been told (unofficially) that I will be able to take on the other half of the plot that I have been working and want to start killing off the weeds. I want to put down some sort of sheet to cover then but cannot find where to get something suitable for a reasonable price. Any help would be great.

woodburner

mulch sheeting
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 22:46 »
Cardboard is free. ;) A local (not big name) builders yard is my best source.

Newspaper (soaked), is supposed to be good, too, but I can't personally vouch for it. Carpet is currently out of vogue, but I've had good results with hessian backed wool carpet. If you know any farms that use silage, you might be able to get silage sheeting.

Next after that is Wilco's mulching fabric.
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

compostqueen

mulch sheeting
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 00:16 »
I use heavy duty black sheet mulch and it works well. Slugs don't like it as it's rough textured.   I got some from Allplaz and from SmithnJones off the internt

I agree cardboard is good and under that you can always put full thickness newspapers. Trouble is it can get messy when it rains and the cardboard begins to break down. You can always add more on the top though. Your electric shop will have great pieces of the stuff or skip raiding will have to become your new hobby  :D   It makes ok paths too  :D   The heavy duty sheet mulch is a good investment though. it allows rain to pass through it which is a good point as your soil is kept in good nick while it kills the weeds. Solid plastic makes the soil dry out underneath it and slugs like it.

chimaera

• Experienced Member
mulch sheeting
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 20:49 »
Thanks for that. Will the porous mulching sheet work for just putting over the weeds or will too much light get through? Also, it seems that green tarps are cheaper than black, but was wondering if they would also not be dark enough.

woodburner

mulch sheeting
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 22:16 »
Mulching fabric needs to be fairly thick. I had some from Poundland once, definitely not thick enough to be used on it's own. I think that was the exception though. I've not seen stuff that thin anywhere else.

I'm pretty sure the black woven landscaping fabric is tougher than tarps, regardless of colour. No idea whether a tarp would work or not, though.

compostqueen

mulch sheeting
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 22:41 »
black sheet mulch (heavy duty) is the stuff to use.   The tarp will not let rain through so you end up with rock hard soil underneath. Soil covered with the proper stuff will clear weeds for you and leave the soil in good condition.  it takes time though. You have to leave it and be patient  :D  Try and not walk on the area under black sheet mulch as you don't want to compact it.

cooperman

• Experienced Member
  • glass bottle bottle glass
mulch sheeting
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 00:08 »
I'm all for saving a bob or two but where this is concerned there only really one option, the heavyduty mulch sheet, 2m wide.... as a previous member has said , it lets the rain through but kills the weeds.... bit the bullet and cough up the dosh!!
PS It lasts for quite a while so can be re- used....
Death OR Cake ???

compostqueen

mulch sheeting
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 11:33 »
I've been making paths with it and it's very strong and will last forever I think.

I got the 2m wide stuff as well.  I was lucky to have a long length given to me but it had got holes cut in it as a strawberry grower had used it. It was perfect for spuds  :D

woodburner

mulch sheeting
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 11:51 »
compostqueen, you're talking about the woven stuff aren't you?

compostqueen

mulch sheeting
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2008, 14:42 »
yes I am  :D  
I unfurled a piece a few weeks ago to plant spuds there.  Despite it being hot, dry and windy for a few days the soil was really moist.

I'm clearing my plot with it.  Nearly there and only a long strip (4 m wide left under it).  The last time me and the lotty sec checked under it, he stuck a fork in and brought up some couch so it got covered over again.  That was a year ago.  I think I'm going to leave it a bit longer and just use it for the pumpkins to romp over so the plot looks a little less stark  :D  ?When it's ready I think I shall make an asparagus bed there

clip
Sheeting the plot for winter

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post November 16, 2022, 12:29
by snowdrops
xx
Plastic sheeting on beds, or not?

Started by Goneterseed on Grow Your Own

40 Replies
Last post April 16, 2016, 20:21
by Trikidiki
xx
Where to buy Sheeting for Ground Cover

Started by chrisb1357 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 08:37
by Kristen
xx
Plastic Sheeting alternative

Started by NellyCB on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 27, 2011, 10:40
by Poolcue

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 33 queries.