Blackberry and Elderberry wine - best ratio?

• 10 Replies

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
Blackberry and Elderberry wine - best ratio?
« on: September 22, 2012, 13:14 »
Hi All,

It's that time of year again when there's an abundance of blackberries and elderberries, yey!  :D

I've made elderberry wine in the past (very nice!) and started my first ever batch of blackberry wine a few weeks ago (still bubbling away and smelling rather lovely so far), but have never combined the two so am going to give it a go.

I've found loads of recipes, all with varying ratios of blackberry to elderberry - some more blackberry, some more elderberry and others equal quantities, but which is best??

I'd imagine there's a degree of personal preference involved, and I'll probably try different quantities in time but as I don't have space for multiple batches any thoughts on where to begin would be great - and does anyone have a tried and tested recipe they would share or point me in the direction of?

Kleftiwallah

Re: Blackberry and Elderberry wine - best ratio?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 14:04 »

I would make the two wines separately right up to bottling.  Then you can have three wines.  Elderberry, Blackberry or a mixture of the two and adjust to your own personal preference trial and error and keep a record of your chosen ratio.

Cheers,    Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

stompy

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 14:09 »
I volunteer to help with the trial and error.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 15:14 »

I would make the two wines separately right up to bottling.  Then you can have three wines.  Elderberry, Blackberry or a mixture of the two and adjust to your own personal preference trial and error and keep a record of your chosen ratio.

Cheers,    Tony.

Yup, agree with this too. :) Its how my Dad often used to make and then blend the wines. The blending could be fun to help with. :D But do keep notes.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 16:26 »
I do that sometimes too.  If I have a wine that's too dry, then I'll mix some with a sweeter one until I get just want I want. 

My orange juice wine is very dry, so I put some blackcurrant and apple with it, and its lovely! 

SG6

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2012, 18:00 »
Really a choice for you to make. I made a blackberry wine some years back, turned out reasonable but not what I was hoping for. Actually fairly pale (did nave about 4lb of blackberry's so not skimped on them), expected darker, use it for cooking with.

Have read that blackberry and elderberry can make a "heavy" wine, thino it must be the elderberry content as the black berry does not in my experience give it. Have not made elderberry as I am too lazy to strip the things off the stalks - just seems like a lot of trouble.

Elderberry can be high in tanin, so expect a couple of years for it to smooth out and be drinkable.

If possible visit a winemaking/homebrew shop and get a yeast that is good for fruit wines and aim for around 14%.

Do you make much wine and do you have the bits like a hydrometer etc ?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2012, 18:42 »

On an American wine making forum I read about this method. 

Take a bucket and lay an oven tray (or cake cooling tray) over the top, stroke the elderberry stalk side to side and the ripe jobs drop into the bucket, the green jobs stay on the twigs.

I tried it but found it better if the tray was held against the inside face of the bucket.

Cheers,    Tony.

VegGirl7

• Experienced Member
    • allotmentforaginghomebrewadventures
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2012, 20:26 »
thanks for all the replies - I hadn't thought of making the two separate and then mixing to my liking, great idea!   :D 

Think I've made 10-15 gallons over the couple of years, SG6, mostly using home grown, foraged or gifted fruits and veg,  but I'm no expert and have never mixed different fruits before

I do have a hydrometer too and have so far been aiming for the 13ish % mark and used young's super wine yeast for everything  :unsure: 

I'll give the cooling tray over bucket method a go, Tony - although, to be honest, I don't mind the fork method, it's quite therapeutic...

thanks again for all the replies - I'm looking forward to the mixing / tasting session and thinking I should have a few volunteers, but if I need more will be sure to let you all know  :lol:   :D :D

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2012, 09:04 »
I've made B&E for the first time this year, following Andy Hamilton's recipe I think it was a 50:50 mix of the two.

ilan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2012, 17:50 »
With respect you are sort of asking the wrong question  ;) firstly the ratios are not fixed it will vary almost from day today as the fruits ripen or get wet  the amounts of sugar flavours ect change all the time thats the fun part of wine making / also what sort of wine do you want  light dry or full bodied or heavy sweet . then you can think about what fruits ratio sugar etc you require   :)
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

xx
Blackberry/Elderberry Wine....

Started by HelenK on Homebrew

5 Replies
Last post September 11, 2009, 22:37
by SG6
xx
elderberry wine

Started by mushroom on Homebrew

6 Replies
Last post July 01, 2008, 07:57
by symond steve
xx
Elderberry wine

Started by rugbymad40 on Homebrew

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 19:54
by Jay Dubya
xx
Elderberry wine.

Started by Kate and her Ducks on Homebrew

18 Replies
Last post September 13, 2009, 21:14
by Damson

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 39 queries.