Weeding by hand......

• 47 Replies

The Red Baron

• Total newbie to all this green lark but willing!
Weeding by hand......
« on: November 02, 2013, 08:01 »
Morning all.....
Little background, got my 12 rod plot in late July. Hadn't been used for years! Totally over run, anyway, sprayed the lot, strimmed it and knocked all the tips off....but now. Lordy those nettles have roots! Any advice on weeding by hand? It's going to take me forever to dig the garden over! Anywho, thought I'd ask.

dugless

Re: Weeding by hand......
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 08:08 »
What did you spray them with. if it was glyphorsate. then you don't have to worry about the nettle roots, they will be dead. you will just have the usual Annual weeds to deal with.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

allotmentann

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 08:42 »
Weeding by hand is really not that bad. The trick is to focus on small patches rather than a whole plot. I have never used any weed killer. If you remove weeds and roots thoroughly to start with, you will get very little re growth of perennial weeds. Annuals,of course, will self sow whether you pull by hand or use weed killer and will always need keeping in check.
It may be as Dugless said and the roots are dead. I would just take it slowly, digging it over bit by bit and covering or mulching as you go.
It may simply be that your soil is still very hard after the lovely summer, my soil is only just starting to soften enough to make digging easier. Three or four weeks ago I was struggling to get a fork in, now it is fine.   :)

Sweetpea C

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 08:55 »
I went for the hand dig option and its actually very rewarding to get the critters out. I do enough space for one raised bed at a time then it's not too damaging on the back. You are lucky that you have plenty if time before you start sowing or planting. I'm about half way through mine now :)
My husband's a water sign, I'm an earth sign, together we make mud :-)

My gardening diary is here - go on, have a peek , you might be able to help me!
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101101.0

Comments most welcome here please
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=101102.msg

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 10:01 »
I'm another dig-and-weed person - I found that very little comes back after a thorough dig and scour through. And my cultivator takes care of that in no time.  :)

NickoV

• Location: East coast of Lincolnshire, a mile from the sea, on a marsh, heavy clay.
    • Marshland Permaculture Interest Group
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 10:44 »
I use as right angled fork for getting nettles out, available from Chillingtons.

Nick
These are just my opinions based on what I have read, the filters my brain uses as a product of my upbringing, and the experiences I have had growing food. I am not intending to convince anyone I am right, just supply my opinion when it is asked for. I am also open to changing my opinions! Nick

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 11:06 »
If the ground is very rooty, digging with a fork can be easier and a lot will depend on your soil.  As allotmentann says, if your soil is baked hard, waiting until after a bit of rain can make a big difference.

You have lots of time before planting starts next year, so no need to kill yourself digging for hours on end.  Make a start where you want to plant first (the bits you have earmarked for shallots, potatoes, early broad beans) and then go from there. 

The odd spray on a perennial weed resurfacing won't hurt, but digging does more that just removing weeds.  It lightens the soil ready for plant roots and gives you a chance to incorporate organic matter like manure or compost. My plot is heavy clay and an annual dig over as crops clear and additions of homemade compost are working wonders  :)

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 11:55 »
I went for the hand dig option and its actually very rewarding to get the critters out. I do enough space for one raised bed at a time then it's not too damaging on the back. You are lucky that you have plenty if time before you start sowing or planting. I'm about half way through mine now :)

Snap! I am aiming to have mine finished this winter- I got it late November last year so it will have taken me just over a year by the time I have finished. Very rewarding though.

As sweetpea said, a patch at a time and as each raised/edged bed is created you can get planting

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2013, 11:59 »
Another vote for hand digging and weeding. I used glyphosate sparingly on the most stubborn patches, but you can only successfully use it when weeds are actively growing.
If you have heavy duty weed membrane or loads of cardboard you can cover some of your plot, by the time spring arrives most if not all the weeds under will have died back, again making weeding and clearing easier.
Take it slowly allotmenting is a marathon not a sprint.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Totty

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2013, 12:04 »
People don't still hand weed do they.....

Strim, allow regrowth, spray. Done.

Totty

The Red Baron

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2013, 12:57 »
I think all the roots are dead but wanted to get them out so all my lovely veg I dream of growing has plenty space....I'll persevere, like I say, it's a new plot and hey, it's not a race

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 13:02 »
People don't still hand weed do they.....

Strim, allow regrowth, spray. Done.

Totty

Yep! Those of us who want to a) do it more cost effectively b) don't want chemicals on the plot

Totty

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 14:57 »
Agreed, some don't like chemicals which is fine, everyone has their own ideas on how they want to garden.
It's not more cost effective for me though. If it was more cost effective on larger scales to hand weed, I doubt you would see it being used commercially.

Totty

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 15:29 »
I think all the roots are dead but wanted to get them out so all my lovely veg I dream of growing has plenty space....I'll persevere, like I say, it's a new plot and hey, it's not a race

If they're dead, they're dead.  So why dig them out?  Won't they just break down in the soil?  But are they dead?
Chances are they're not.  Glyphosate supplied to the garden market isn't 100% effective, even if applied as directed, on grasses maybe, on pernicious nettles, not in my experience.  Not even after two applications.

If, to make sure, you're going to dig them out anyway, why spray them first?  To get rid of the top growth?

Just wondering.

Tom
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

The Red Baron

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 16:02 »
In all honesty....sprayed in ignorance....never had an allotment before and well, I thought that was how to get rid of weeds, weedkiller=kills weeds...that's all my brain saw haha but digging them out just to make sure, ground needs turning anyway.

xx
Weeding

Started by rictic on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 19:09
by Babstreefern
xx
weeding

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 16:00
by Grubbypaws
xx
Weeding ?

Started by damo on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 19:01
by MoreWhisky
xx
weeding

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 15:38
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 38 queries.