Movable Cold Frame

• 5 Replies

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
Movable Cold Frame
« on: June 08, 2010, 13:56 »
Will probably make myself up a 'movable' cold frame later in the year when I have my plot sorted out.  Thought it would be handy for any winter veg I get in later on (if any!).

Just wondered if anyone had experience with making one?

Rossco

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Movable Cold Frame
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 14:41 »
Trouble is that home-made presumably means made of wood (?) which will be very heavy to move around (depending on size, obviously.)

Aluminium-framed cold frames are obviously much lighter and I can completely remove the top lights off mine, stand inside it and walk it around like a sandwich board!!
Also of course it is fully glazed which is helpful in low-light situations, including winter.

Sorry not much help when it comes to home-made but maybe something to bear in mind.

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 14:51 »
for moveability then  a cloche would be easier and that could be made fairly easily but still have good weather insulation. I think the late great Geoff Hamilton had some good ideas for both cloches and cold frames - might be worth a goggle under his name.
R

hawthorns

• Hawthorns Cold Frames
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 21:52 »
Hi Rossco

You can consider making a cold frame using wing nuts and bolts - that way you can move it around wherever you want (and you don't need a screwdriver) Cloches are a good idea as long as it doesn't get too windy where you live !

Joanna

plot6b

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:14 »
I always use those Fold down Pallet sides. Then top off with a piece of glass. cheap and easy!

veggieman

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 17:53 »
When down south and I wanted some glass window frames, I used to see if anyone locally was having double glazing put in and then I asked if I could have some of the old frames. The owners and contractors were usually happy to have someone take them away for them. Alternatively, contact a double glazing company and they will tell you where they are next fitting windows and then you turn up as and when suggested.

To make a completely free, moveable cold frame, just stand 4 or or more up in the ground so as to make a square or rectangle shape. You simply make a small trench, sit the window frames in and bring the earth up against them so that they stand up. Then simply put some more window frames on the top to make a cover. You can, if you want, weigh them down with a piece of wood. No screws or assembly whatsoever is needed and it is totally moveable whenever you want. Easy-peasy!
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

xx
cold frame

Started by rowlandwells on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2021, 11:46
by rowlandwells
xx
cold frame

Started by noshed on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 17, 2006, 22:30
by John
xx
New cold frame

Started by Rangerkris on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 22:09
by sunshineband
xx
Cold Frame advice

Started by Broadhaven on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 12:13
by theakston_uk

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 40 queries.