generator moter

• 15 Replies

peter james

generator moter
« on: February 15, 2010, 13:42 »
hi i was just wondering if a genny moter would work as a wind turbine if i put a large set of blades on it thanks p,j,

new_2_veg

Re: generator moter
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 14:08 »
i dont think it would as i dont think it would get a fast enough spin on, i may be wrong but they are built for use on a engine that would have a fairly high rpm.

may be worth posting a bit more info about it as there may be someone  on here that knows more about them than i do.

thanks

nathan
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

peter james

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 14:35 »
its only a 1kva genny  i will gear it up if need be  ;)

new_2_veg

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 14:49 »
can you get it to a minimum of 1500rpm?  thats the minimum you would need to get a output thats useable.

what are you planning to do with the power you create?

just wondering if solar power would be as cheap by the time you have geared the genny motor up

nathan

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 16:59 »
The answer is if you can turn it at the speed its supposed to run at, and you can get that speed at full load, then there's no reason it wouldnt work.

Going to have to box clever with the turbine blades (have to be pretty big to get the torque) and you will also have to compensate for the friction losses of gearing it up, and you will also need a governor to prevent the speed rising too high.

You're going to need massive blades, because you're going to have to gear up about 30:1

peter james

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 19:47 »
would that be a big cog on my blades and a small cog on motor

smud6ie

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 20:05 »
Ive just had a look at a couple of my gennys and they run at 3000 Rpm
smud6ie

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 21:37 »
I have been reading up on wind and solar power for nearly two years. And yes you could with blades around 8 foot in diameter and carefully designed blades for maximum RPM. You would need at least 20MPH winds. Because this type of geny needs either 1500 or 3000 rpm to work depending on the windings. From my investigations wind and solar are very disappointing on out put compared to our current energy needs.
I came to the conclusion that other than for short term camping trips or running a low wattage electric fence ect wind and solar power is usless.
always have a target
and an objective.

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 21:45 »
I have been reading up on wind and solar power for nearly two years. And yes you could with blades around 8 foot in diameter and carefully designed blades for maximum RPM. You would need at least 20MPH winds. Because this type of geny needs either 1500 or 3000 rpm to work depending on the windings. From my investigations wind and solar are very disappointing on out put compared to our current energy needs.
I came to the conclusion that other than for short term camping trips or running a low wattage electric fence ect wind and solar power is usless.

The best plan is to use wind and solar energy to pump water up a gradient, and then use the falling water to turn a water turbine and generate electricity that way, at least you will get a more continuous supply. It the only way  you can store an intermittent source of energy.

peter james

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:10 »
i was thinking about running a battery charger to charge 12 volt batterys on the 240 point on the genny then i wouldn't matter if it gets up to full rpm or not with the volt droper in the charger? thanks p,j

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 12:41 »
i was thinking about running a battery charger to charge 12 volt batterys on the 240 point on the genny then i wouldn't matter if it gets up to full rpm or not with the volt droper in the charger? thanks p,j

The only snag i can see is that the battery charger needs 50 Hz AC more than it need voltage, because the transformer inside will be wound for 240V 50 Hz, whereas transformers are tolerant of voltage input variations, there not so keen on frequency input straying from the designed parameters, the efficiency goes down alarmingly and they tend to heat up.. How will the frequency of the output vary with the speed? It might be a better plan to build  a little circuit to rectify the 240 AC output directly then regulate it down to 14 v to charge batteries in parallel, then the output frequency wont matter.

peter james

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 14:49 »
where would i sorce the components from and do you know what i will need thanks again p,j

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 17:08 »
Well the golden age of amateur electronics is well and truly over, but you should still be able to get a bridge rectifier, storage capacitor and voltage control chip from Maplins.

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 21:49 »

The best plan is to use wind and solar energy to pump water up a gradient, and then use the falling water to turn a water turbine and generate electricity that way, at least you will get a more continuous supply. It the only way  you can store an intermittent source of energy.
just how much water and how far are you going to pump it on a couple of dozen watts???

BostonInbred

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2010, 19:18 »

just how much water and how far are you going to pump it on a couple of dozen watts???

OP didnt state the power of the generator. I was merely pointing out the way its done in other places with intermittent sun/wind.

Although B&Q, for example,  do a 400W pump for £35 that will pump 9000L/hour up 6 metres. Thats not entirely unusable. And if hes going to the trouble on comtemplating making 8 foot blades for it, i suspect it will generate  more than 'a dozen watts'

xx
Wolf 720 generator

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 22:10
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Diesel Generator

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 27, 2014, 20:35
by adal
xx
HELP / advice on generator

Started by FatGaz on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post June 22, 2007, 14:39
by donald.cape
xx
Generator suggestions...

Started by Bigfatsi on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 23:08
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.257 seconds with 39 queries.