What's eating my Strawberries

• 10 Replies

lacewing

What's eating my Strawberries
« on: June 11, 2012, 07:25 »
I have a tub of strawberries in my greenhouse, which now have lovely big ripe fruit. I can't work out what is eating them. I have netted the greenhouse door and the air vent to stop birds. There are no trail marks to suggest it could be slugs. Can't think what else could be nibbling my precious fruit. :unsure:  Do mice like strawberries?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 07:30 by lacewing »
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: What's eating my Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:59 »
If you're sure it isn't slugs or snails then yes I'd say it is likely to be mice.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 10:23 »
After erecting my new greenhouse on a base of flat stones with small gaps, I had to fill all the gaps with expanding foam to stop mice making free with everything.

lacewing

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 12:36 »
Thanks for the advice folks, think I need to get some mouse traps.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 12:58 »
Last year the mice took every one of my strawberries long before they turned red, and there was a lot of them. Traps don't do much good for me because i have a large local population and trapping one or two is a drop in the ocean, so a good barrier is the way to go. This year I've built a cage I can drop over the raised bed, from 4mm wire mesh, which is too small for them to squeeze through.

lacewing

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 15:50 »
This is one of the annoying things about allotment gardening. Having to net or cage so many things. Not only does it make the place look untidy but the time it takes  to errect these structures. I often wish I could just go there, plant my crop and that would be it. How do farmers manage?, they don't have nets and cages all over their fields, surley they get the same wild life as we do.
Just felt I had to have a rant about it ::) Perhaps it's the rain getting to me!

suziet88

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 20:56 »
ditto Lacewing.  That's what OH keeps saying to me.

OpenSourceAgriculture

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2012, 22:57 »
Ah, lacewing, have you been to the countryside lately?  It's quite a dead place.  Enormous fields with barely any life on them, and the nearest hedgerow where a mouse might hide is too far away to be a problem.    The average allotment or suburban vegetable garden has much more diversity on it, which is why it is the closest thing you can get to traditional farming, except that because it is so patchy, consisting of tiny plots, and done by so many different people, it is about ten times as much work as traditional farming.   Economies of scale were obvious to farmers long before economists stole the idea.   Growing a field of strawberries is probably no more difficult to protect from vermin than growing a square yard in your back garden, because of the economy of scale.
Life is Open Source, not licensed by a corporation.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 07:15 »
Mice eat our strawberries, as do squirrels, to the point  where I think I might have to grow them in the garden only, as despite nets etc........
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 09:13 »
Yes, I've tried nets in the past too and never had any luck with them. The 4mm wire mesh does work though. They went after my pea seeds this year, ate every one of them. When I resowed I put little tunnels of bent over wire mesh over the top of them, with the edges buried in the soil, and as far as I could tell didn't lose any.

OSA - yes, you're absolutely right. Mice like my garden because there's lots of good hiding places, with a big thick healthy hedgerow all the way round. Owls like it too because there's lots of mice and voles to hunt. Arable farmers ripped all the hedgerows down long ago. Some of the crop fields you see look very dead, with horrible soil and only chemicals to feed the crop, and more chemicals to kill any insects or wildlife with the temerity to approach the crop. That's why I grow my own :)

lacewing

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:38 »
Ah, now I understand.  And can see why we have to work a bit harder to get our chemical free produce.   We also have a thick hedgerow all around our site and a nature reserve just over the back. Must get some of that 4mm wire mesh.

question
What's eating my strawberries?

Started by New2veg on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 10:06
by sazzy123
xx
What is eating my strawberries?

Started by purplebean on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 21:08
by 8doubles
xx
What's eating my strawberries

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 06:39
by Dilly Dom
xx
Woodlice eating my ***** strawberries !

Started by greenfingers on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2007, 02:00
by love-my-plot

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 38 queries.