Autumn tidy up - how are you doing?

• 50 Replies

Flowertot

Re: Autumn tidy up - how are you doing?
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2016, 16:52 »
Today I spread manure over the 2 1/2 beds which I had previously dug over and then I covered them with weed matting. It's nice to have a few beds ready for winter  :). Loads more still to do though.

Vagabond

• Experienced Member
« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2016, 09:53 »
I haven't logged into the forum for a few weeks and thought I'd see what everyone was up to.  This thread has given e a little jolt because I've been putting things off. I'm going to go up there this afternoon and make a start!

Well I did make a start... then I stopped again. I dug up the rest of my potatoes and left the debris on the bed to rot down a bit. I also planted out some kale and cabbages. I haven't harvested my leeks, parsnips or carrots yet.
The weather has been so sunny and mild here in Southern Ireland that I've been making the most of it by enjoying other outdoor activities and the veggie beds have been a bit neglected.
I'd better go and take a look today and do some work on them!

snowdrops

« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2016, 13:46 »
Just got back inside, having been rained off from doing some clearing in the garden. Dug up & potted up the canna lilies,aeonium & eucomis. Also cut down & dug up the dahlias, labelled them & put them in trays. Then planted out some very leggy wallflowers I got at a plant swap in October, so I pruned them drastically, planted out some pansies & cyclamen I'd bought for the tubs but thought they'd look better in the border I'd just cleared. All the potted up plants got taken into the greenhouse for now until I've cleared the conservatory, then they'll come in there to spend the winter frost free.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2016, 18:00 »
Montbretia! The bane of my life ever since the husband of a friend of my wife "did me a favour" about twenty years ago when I was spending most days overseas. He planted a couple of clumps out of his own garden. I lived with them happily until a few years ago when they mounted a serious take-over of the borders. If the Good Lord spares me long enough, I WILL get rid of them.

I'm not the only householder to be tormented by them. They decorate many lane verges around here

I Glyphoed as many as I could, Alan, as they were dreadful this year!

Next season, we'll have to pull them up just as they start, and keep on doing that!

I am wondering if I could poke the Mantis in the areas where they fester, and chew them to ribbons!

May work..

Christine

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2016, 15:25 »
I was doing brilliantly till family chainsaw man came along to start on the ever expanding hedges.  It was too wet to finish clearing all the debris into one pile (yep we worked in rain with appropriate clothing) and now have a large amount to be disposed of.

Could do with another visit to reduce more hedging. Maybe, maybe not but let's get rid of this lot first.  Volunteers can't be forced.

snowdrops

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2016, 19:52 »
Some serious gardening in the garden today, from 10.30 until about 3:30. It involved removing 2 large rhododendrons, then shredding all I could before trundling to the plot with the roots to be burned & returning with a load of manure for hubby to rotovate in then back to the plot with the branches to burn & back again with another load of manure. I'm well & truly pooped. Good first day of a week off, hopefully tomorrow I can get the newly prepared border planted up, I've got 3 Acers in pots & - Ginko Biloba looking for a new home. Might even have to go & buy some winter colour to give it a sparkle.
Mind you I've now got a pile of wood & roots ready to burn at the plot

xx
Can I “ tidy up” my grapevine now?

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 04, 2020, 13:40
by jambop
xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
Autumn veg

Started by flimbin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 13, 2020, 08:29
by flimbin
xx
Is it autumn already??

Started by Florablunder on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 06, 2021, 11:28
by coldandwindy

Page created in 0.296 seconds with 33 queries.