When are charlotte potatoes ready?

• 12 Replies

Nobbie

When are charlotte potatoes ready?
« on: June 11, 2019, 16:02 »
Just noticed that the charlotte potatoes are starting to flower, does this have any connection to when they are ready? It's just over 10 weeks since planting.

lettice

Re: When are charlotte potatoes ready?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 16:41 »
The rule of thumb for new potatoes is 12 weeks.
Do find when they start flowering is always about that time anyway.
Just have a feel for the top 4-5 inches layer of soil around the plants and see what size they are.
I have been having loads of Charlotte and other variety new potatoes for a week or so now, that was exactly 12 weeks from planting.
Do not leave them too long, as they will grow large and their skins become tougher.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 22:03 »
When you do dig them and they are the size you want, cut all the top growth off and they can remain in the ground until your ready to dig them, I do this every year and they generally stay good for many months.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

snow white

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 11:11 »
When you do dig them and they are the size you want, cut all the top growth off and they can remain in the ground until your ready to dig them, I do this every year and they generally stay good for many months.

Thank you for the tip.  Always learning.  :D

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 08:27 »

Good idea, although I might just lift them all and store in damp compost as the slugs will have them otherwise.

I planted some big pots with Nicola a couple of weeks before the charlotte, but no sign of flowers on them yet and they look a bit small. Will knock one of those out and see how they are doing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 18:52 »
I've always found Charlotte to be relatively slug resistant … I've dug them up in March, fairly unscathed!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 16:13 »
I've always found Charlotte to be relatively slug resistant … I've dug them up in March, fairly unscathed!

Although it is impossible for me to agree with this statement due to county differences  :lol: :lol: :lol: I shall make the following statement regarding slugs and Charlottes.
"I've always found Charlotte to be relatively slug resistant and never really had a problem"  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 17:00 »
Charlottes are 2nd earlies, so not one of the earliest to harvest varieties, so they may need a bit longer.

John says
Potatoes come in three main groups:
•First Early – these are the fast developers who produce new potatoes. Depending on variety they will be ready to harvest between 10 and 12 weeks after planting.
•Second Early – slightly slower these are ready to harvest between 13 and 15 weeks after planting.
•Maincrops – these take anything from 20 weeks for the early maincrop varieties to 26 weeks for late maincrops.
https://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/potatoes/potatoes-growing/

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 21:32 »

Although it is impossible for me to agree with this statement due to county differences  :lol: :lol: :lol: I shall make the following statement regarding slugs and Charlottes.
"I've always found Charlotte to be relatively slug resistant and never really had a problem"  ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: *mwah*  :D :wub:

Paul Plots

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 11:55 »
March?

Hells teeth - mine have only just been hidden in March (and late March this year) and I'm in the "sunny" south.

I'll have a go at looking at mine in July.. or even late July at this rate. We are quite happy to have them larger and use them as a general use potato.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2019, 11:59 by Paul Plots »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 18:41 »
Surely they mean they have left them in the ground overwinter a day dug in march!

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 21:08 »
 :lol: :lol: :lol:
yep March the following year although to be honest I have eaten mine by Christmas.
I am lucky in some ways as we have very sandy soil so it doesnt hold water so the spuds are clamped quite happily and slugs for some reason dont seem to bother with them, a few will rot here n there tho.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 21:09 by Aidy »

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2019, 16:54 »
Dug the first up today and was very impressed, no sign of slug damage unlike previous Maris Peer and good crop after 12 weeks😎

xx
Very few potatoes - Charlotte

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 13, 2020, 12:44
by Middle Eastern Gardener
xx
charlotte potatoes

Started by Sue33 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 09:26
by Sue33
xx
charlotte potatoes

Started by westcork on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 21:56
by solway cropper
xx
Charlotte potatoes

Started by FRUITFULL on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 26, 2009, 23:55
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 53 queries.