Ducks and clutches etc.

• 6 Replies

RichardA

Ducks and clutches etc.
« on: March 15, 2009, 10:20 »
We belive we have 5 females and 1 male, the boy is clearly a boy but one of the girls can on occasions get boyish with one of the females. So we had our doubts. Upto now the the most eggs we ever got in a day was 4 suggesting we were right and females were only really 4 in total. This morning we had 5, laid in two clutches overnight, a clutch of 2 and a clutch of 3, beautifully aligned and close together in straw on a flat floored timber run. Just as you would see in a ducks nest in the wild.
Previously we tended to get 3 eggs a day usually 1 in each of 3 different corners of the run suggesting three layers.We clear all eggs every day when we open up and check every night as well as occasionally one gets laid in the day. Never yet had any laid away from the straw bed.
Now the questions are -- do ducks ever lay more than one egg a day and do females lay against another females eggs?
Many thanks
R

Vember

Re: Ducks and clutches etc.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 15:36 »
Hi Richard
Most days mine lay next to each other, so there's a lovely clutch in the morning waiting for me :D

Never had a duck lay twice in one day though.

As for Girls doing boy things, Titch (female) has in the past gone for a piggy back rides with Bear or Bumble (both female)  :ohmy:   :blush: Don't know why ??? Maisy used to do it too  :wacko:

Sarah :D

RichardA

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 08:14 »
Very grateful; Sarah
R

RichardA

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 13:05 »
Vember -- thanks for the explanation but as ever the ducks had their own ideas about letting this one lie. We are very sure 5 is the max that can be females out of 6 since the sure male is a Khaki Campbell with all the colours of a male. Guess what -- this morning -- 6 eggs -- a clutch of 4 in a perfect nest shaped hollow and two more in a seperate group, very close but not nested. No mistake -- yesterday 5 and today 6, every day we fluff up the straw and would have seen any eggs from yesterday. All look double yolked as well.
Still puzzled
R

Vember

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 13:42 »
 :lol: Sure sounds strange  ???

It must be possible for them to lay 2 in a day I've had a hen do it  ???

You've not got a wild duck sneaking in and laying have you :lol:

Has the "male" got his curly tail and does he sound different ?

Sarah :D

RichardA

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 14:21 »
Yes the male has the curly tail and perfect manners -- the ladies always go first, he waits to eat until the ladies have finished and he is always awake and on guard if they are sleeping in the sun. A real gentleman.
Certain no strays so now we are back to chance of more than one egg a day from one or more ducks we dont know how many females again ___ still must be worse problems than getting more beautiful eggs than is expected
R

too many girls

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 23:38 »
must admit we have the same problem, 2 males, 4 females, we are 100% sure as the females have feather loss on the back of their necks due to be trodden by the males, the males have curly tail feathers, we've had 4 eggs one day, 5 the next, then 4 then 5, at first i accused Pip of not collecting them all, but then i found out for myself, sometimes we may only get 3, but i'm pretty sure someone is sporadically laying 2 a day, 1 in the morning and another in the evening.

xx
2q's Sharing eggs/chicks and how many clutches please?

Started by sarah1983jane on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 28, 2011, 18:23
by sarah1983jane
xx
Ducks and lights and ducks and holly

Started by RichardA on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 17:48
by poultrygeist
xx
Ducks have you ever seen this.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 12:16
by EJCTM
xx
need help with my ducks !

Started by dchubbuk on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post May 07, 2012, 23:07
by dchubbuk

Page created in 0.283 seconds with 36 queries.