Bantams??

• 7 Replies

RICH_Chicken

Bantams??
« on: March 26, 2016, 20:39 »
Hello all,

Not been on for a long while been so busy hope everyone is well,

Just a question I've breed a lot of chickens for my allotment and they are all fine, my partner has decided she would like two small 'friendly' as in a pet chick, for the back garden so I have sorted a hen house etc, I am pointing her in the direction of bantams, as to my knowledge they are smaller than a hen? I like the buff Orpington, just interested if anyone has bantams how small they are etc.

Any particular hen we are not too fussed if they are not heavy layers as I have other hens for that, she would just like some around garden

Thanks

Rich
Rich_Chicken :)

Mum2mj

Re: Bantams??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 20:56 »
I have a buff orpington bantam - they are the size of a normal chicken :)
My pekin and light Sussex bantam are both small, friendly and fairly good layers. Perkins have feathered feet which mean slightly less damage to the garden

RICH_Chicken

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 21:04 »
Thanks, that's great advice, do the Pekins need a lot of maintaining with the feathers being so 'crazy'

Is there any other recommendations for bantams?

Rich

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 21:12 »
Orpingtons are large by bantam terms.  Apologies for directing you to my lot's mad diary, but second picture down shows the size difference very well.  Beyonce is the large blue/grey bird in the centre and is an Orpington.  The rest of the girls are Wyandotte bantams.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=97250.msg1439282#msg1439282

Dotties are friendly, lay pretty well and are available is a huge range of colours  :)

Mum2mj

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2016, 08:18 »
Thanks, that's great advice, do the Pekins need a lot of maintaining with the feathers being so 'crazy'

Is there any other recommendations for bantams?

Rich

It's best if their feet don't get too muddy as they can get mud balls stuck on the feathers. My pekin went all depressed and moody once and would t get off the nest. Finally worked out she wasn't broody but had sore feet so gave her a soak in a bath and she was right as rain. The one and only time it's happened though.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 11:56 »
I have some light sussex bantams which make perfect little pets, they are very friendly happy little birds.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 18:17 »
BIL has pekin bantams some have feathery feet. They go broody after 10 eggs, you can break this but sooner is better. Roberta, who I had, would sit on your hand and clean legs.  Frizzles are good looking.
Poppy had feathered legs so occaisionly would stand in warm water to clean off.

Broodiness is the problem as they don't want to eat/drink....I use half a hutch cut with a lift up lid and weld mesh and when on bricks has a good airflow. Very easy to build from scratch.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 07:02 »
I have just got 6 Pekin Banties, tiny, fluffy and oh so cute. I also got a pekin boy to go with them and all 7 wander around together (although he does keep trying his luck with my remaining 3 old girls). Their feathery feet does make them ideal for gardens as they do less damage to the ground. I really would recommend them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Bantams

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post January 23, 2008, 13:07
by wildeone
xx
How old are my Bantams?

Started by Budboy on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 26, 2011, 18:51
by Budboy
xx
bantams ?

Started by littlefeat on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 21:40
by littlefeat
xx
Are my bantams getting enough to eat?

Started by falcieri on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 10:51
by ManicMum

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 35 queries.