Marguerites

• 7 Replies

sclarke624

Marguerites
« on: May 30, 2011, 21:00 »
I bought a red marguerite (also known as: Patio Daisy and Argyranthumu) today called "Percussion Red". I very surprised it smelt so strongly of honey as my white ones don't smell at all.  I had no idea they or maybe some of them had a perfume.  I must take cuttings this sutumn though as the cuttings I took of the white ones have really done well.
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Marguerites
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 21:03 »
That sounds lovely  :)

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 10:16 »
Morning All
Thought I would revive an old thread, I got 2 big pots of these from Homebase on Friday, they had been in the reduced section for £4.99 each since Wednesday so I grabbed one of the garden people and asked if they would knock some more off , they knocked them down to £3.50 each then with the 20% off they were running got them for £2.80!

Anyway being in the reduced section they were worst for wear, not as bad as some of the half dead monsters I have bought from there they were more in need of a bit of attention, so I took them home and did absolutely nothing with them until last night! (typical ;) ) Dead headed all the dead flowers, cut back brown foliage and was left with about half a biggish bush per pot, they have been sat in a feed water mixture all night and look better for it today.

Anyway my question, eventually! We had a mishap and part of one of the plants snapped off, I split it into about 8 seperate pieces and then stripped leaves and the outer skin and put them in water to see if they sprout any roots, is there anything else I can do to these to encourage root growth?

Also what are the ideal conditions for the others, trying to decide where to plant them but don't know what they prefer? And finally do these die down in winter and then come back every year?

Thanks in advance :)

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:57 »
To be honest I just plonk any cuttings in a bit of compost in a pot and nurture in the conservatory.  I don't get on with rooting gel or powder always kills my cuttings, other peeps seem to be fine with rooting hormone though.  You did cut just under a leaf join didn't you cos that is probably where roots will come from on a soft stem cutting.

In a mild winter you may be lucky and keep them till the following year outside in my experience in the Sunny south coast, but invaribly they will be lost if left outside.  I Just bring them in which is easy as they are in pots.

I have grown them out the front which is windy and damp and acidy soil, in a pot in the sun and in the semi shade so think they are fairly happy plants.  Try googling though to get the official line.

Lovely plants.  The white ones always seem more successful at growing and keeping for more than one year though for me.

Sheila

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 13:48 »
Hello Sheila

Thanks for the reply :) So it would seem they are not easily offended, that is good, the cuttings are just in a jug of water at the moment so we will see over the next few days what happens with them, I have the perfect place to plant them in the back garden.

They are beautiful white ones, I have been admiring them in Homebase for a couple of weeks but being a tight wad was unwilling to pay £8.99 for 1 or 2 for £15, when I saw them reduced the a fiver I was still to tight so getting them reduced further eased my palpitations a little :)

Thanks again for the advice.

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 00:45 »
You may also like swan river daisies or Brachyscome SEEDS. They may well appeal to your pocket.  Little difficult to source but you can get them on line from say T&M
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/flowers/flower-seeds/half-hardy-annual-seeds/brachyscome-iberidifolia-bravo/2074TM
or I got some from wilkinsons cheaper.  Get the mixed colours they are prettier. Small daisies about an inch across maybe, lovely smell and best of all can be planted in situ outside.

PembsPanther

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 10:14 »
Thanks Sheila I will check those out :)

GYO Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 08:09 »
I bought a large white one in a 2l container from B&Q recently and was shocked to see how root-bound it was, but in true Carol Klein style I saw so much potential cutting material that I couldn't resist having a go at taking cuttings. I took 4 and they rooted really easily with rooting power and plonked into pots of compost.

I also potted the mummy plant up and its doing well now.
No matter how many plants I have in my garden, I can always find room for one more.

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 40 queries.