Blackberries

• 10 Replies

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
Blackberries
« on: January 07, 2011, 20:51 »
OK, last question for now i promise.....

... Am i too late to plant a couple of blackberry canes? and am i right in thining they will tollerate shade? I am thinking of a (not so) little corner between/behind my shed and greenhouse. They won't be casting shade on anything and i could do with somehting there to stop the weeds from taking over (again).

thanks in advance as always.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Blackberries
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 21:37 »
I'd have thought they'd go in OK as long as the ground wasn't frozen or waterlogged.

Be aware, though, that they are unlikely to stop weeds as they are canes rather than ground cover.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 03:57 »
You could solve the weed problem by planting the canes and then covering the problem area with black weed barrier, the poly type rather than fabric type.

Blackberries just want to grow and aren't overly fussy where. Dratted things will set new roots wherever the canes touch ground if I'm not fast enough tying them up  >:(

Mark-S

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 18:56 »
Total novice when it comes to fruit - could i grow wild blackberries on my lottie?  i have bundles growing on the edge boundary of my garden...
its nice to be important, but it more important to be nice......

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 20:15 »
Yes, they are good on boundaries to keep out the vandals!

Mark-S

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 20:24 »
Yes, they are good on boundaries to keep out the vandals!

so propagating a few for my lottie is ok?

Trillium

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 17:45 »
Normally it should be okay unless your particular site doesn't allow them. Easier to ask first.

Mark-S

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 19:09 »
Normally it should be okay unless your particular site doesn't allow them. Easier to ask first.

thre isno issue there - i am just wondering if wild blackberries are ok, or am i better purchasing some.....

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 20:12 »
I'm not sure about propogating wild blackberries, I have only ever had the wild ones from the hedge rows so the cultivated ones will be a novelty. I'm thinking of getting a thronless variety so my little boy can help pick them (and not get spiked if he is playing!) I don't even know if the wild ones taste any better either so it is all a bit of a trial for me. but then thats what gardening is all about i think. :D

st0ne5ish

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 22:22 »
Blackberries were one fruit I decided not to grow on my new plot due to the abundance of them where I live, me and kids spent quite a few hours in autumn collecting these to make my favourite dessert, apple and blackberry crumble with custard, mmmmmm

Are the shop bought ones any better to taste? Do other people grow them on the allotment or just pick them locally?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 04:53 »
I'm not sure about propogating wild blackberries, I have only ever had the wild ones from the hedge rows so the cultivated ones will be a novelty. I'm thinking of getting a thronless variety so my little boy can help pick them (and not get spiked if he is playing!) I don't even know if the wild ones taste any better either so it is all a bit of a trial for me. but then thats what gardening is all about i think. :D

I've got a thornless one - "Loch Ness" - a real heavy cropper with large juicy berries and the taste is superb.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

xx
Blackberries

Started by mikeimp on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2014, 09:08
by mumofstig
xx
blackberries

Started by ravenzero1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 17:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Blackberries

Started by ian1 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 15:38
by Trillium
xx
blackberries

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 05, 2013, 08:25
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.315 seconds with 32 queries.