1st harvest of the year in the dehydrator

• 111 Replies

Snoop

Re: 1st harvest of the year in the dehydrator
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2014, 09:16 »
Ordinarily yes, the sun would do the job (no electricity in the outhouses) but we are having freaky stormy weather and we can't even get on the land so things are starting to rot. A lot of people have died (at least 16) and been made homeless in Bulgaria...which is mad when there are hundreds of empty houses in all the villages, due to flooding. 25% of crops have been lost. So I shouldn't moan about such a small thing, we have been lucky.

Crumbs, Tosca. That's dreadful. I had no idea you were experiencing weather like that. It always looks so idyllic in your photos, it's hard to imagine the weather could get so bad. I hope it all improves.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2014, 11:05 »
Snoop, it is unusual, it is even windy which we rarely have. We have hot and brilliant in between though, but we can't get on the soil for the wet. Serbia, Hungary and Romania have also had their problems.

Hopefully better by the end of July. Good job summer is long here.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2014, 12:23 »
The plot raspberries are in full production, so after a harvesting trip this morning, the dehydrator is off and running  :)

The wonderful smell is driving me mad though.  I'm geting hungrier and hungrier  :lol:

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2014, 12:25 »
Can't wait till I have surplus soft fruit to dry next year hopefully
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2014, 19:58 »
Don't know if it counts as a harvest, but I harvested my £5 Morrisons voucher and bought Bramleys, 2 pineapples, and 2 bunches of bananas.  The Bramleys are sliced, dried and stashed, the pineapples are sliced and in the dryer and the bananas are next.
Anne

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2014, 09:04 »
£5 worth of free fruit.  Sounds like a great harvest to me  ;) 

I'm going to get some pineapple for the next time I do raspberries.  BQ mentioned it and I've been keen to try it ever since.  I reckon they will take about the same time to do i.e. ages  :lol:  Still its no real work on my part and the results will be worth it.

The french beans are next.  I have some bigger ones from the plot that missed getting picked, as I was working and didn't get there for a few days.  They will be great for slowcooker stews over the winter or cooked in a tomato sauce as a side dish  :D

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #66 on: August 17, 2014, 10:40 »
I have been thinking about a dehydrator for a while but a couple of questions:

1. Does it hike up your electricity bill? All this talk of 12-14 hours switched on sounds expensive...
2. Does the base of the unit get hot? Our kitchen is tiny and there is no way I could have a gadget out on the work top for 12 hours so it would have to go on the desk in the spare room - would this be feasible?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 11:23 »
I have been thinking about a dehydrator for a while but a couple of questions:

1. Does it hike up your electricity bill? All this talk of 12-14 hours switched on sounds expensive...
2. Does the base of the unit get hot? Our kitchen is tiny and there is no way I could have a gadget out on the work top for 12 hours so it would have to go on the desk in the spare room - would this be feasible?
Ditto the above questions ???

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: August 17, 2014, 13:28 »
From my experience

1.  No.  Mine doesn't seem to affect the electricity bill much at all and it is a fairly sizable machine.
2. No again.  The base gets gently warm, but not hot.  I have run mine on a pine dining table overnight without any problems.  You could always put a tea towel under it if you were worried about it standing directly on a polished surface  :)

I think someone may have been a bit premature in mocking Surbie and Lardman for being easily led  ;)  :lol: 

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2014, 13:30 »
1. Don't know, I don't keep that close a check on it, but I haven't noticed anything unusual in the bills.
2. Mine gets quite warm, but not hot on the outside.  I would think a desk would be safe enough. 

But you do need extra space beside it so you can put the lid and trays down on a level surface.  The trays on mine are not very strong and some have cracked (Andrew James is replacing them free as a goodwill gesture as it is only a month out of warranty) and you need to remember to carry them with both hands. 
Also you need storage space for the dried foods, I use plastic baskets from the £ shop to keep ziploc bags tidy, coffee jars, jam jars.  Glass is best but bulky, little jars for crumbled chilli, big jars for sliced onions or beans.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #70 on: August 17, 2014, 14:16 »
Ooh you bad people... I have succumbed! There was an Andrew James one on amazon shaping had good reviews so I bought it. It was the big rectangular one as it was reduced down by quite a bit. Hopefully the trays will be ok....

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #71 on: August 17, 2014, 16:20 »
From my experience

1.  No.  Mine doesn't seem to affect the electricity bill much at all and it is a fairly sizable machine.
2. No again.  The base gets gently warm, but not hot.  I have run mine on a pine dining table overnight without any problems.  You could always put a tea towel under it if you were worried about it standing directly on a polished surface  :)

I think someone may have been a bit premature in mocking Surbie and Lardman for being easily led  ;)  :lol:

:ohmy:
Never!!
I was just curious is all :wub:

snowdrops

« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2014, 21:36 »
 :lol: :lol:
Has anyone made one? Sounds like it is something I could get Mr S making, he's just finished a CNC router.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2014, 21:39 »
:ohmy:
Never!!
I was just curious is all :wub:

You say that now, but I know you're being sucked in...I can feel a tremor in The Force!

How long do you leave your pineapple NewShoot? I put mine on for 12 hours, 2mm thick and it comes out as crisps again, not leathery/sticky.

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2014, 03:37 »
:lol: :lol:
Has anyone made one? Sounds like it is something I could get Mr S making, he's just finished a CNC router.

OH was going to make one this year, but other things took priority. Anyway it was too humid a lot of the time. But we certainly get enough sun generally. I tried leaving the trays out but often that made it rain. :lol:

xx
What do you look for in a dehydrator?

Started by Snoop on Kitchen Natter

79 Replies
Last post September 10, 2014, 15:28
by Annen
xx
Anyone got the dehydrator out yet?

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 17:14
by New shoot
clip
Dehydrator projects

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 11:41
by New shoot
xx
sad day, dehydrator has passed away

Started by Aidy on Kitchen Natter

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2021, 21:00
by jezza

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 36 queries.