Grow lights

• 3 Replies

Auntiemogs

Grow lights
« on: June 19, 2013, 00:54 »
Hi folks.  :)

I have a Garland Grow Light, which has been fab for bringing on my seedlings (I can fit 28 x 3" pots in the tray). I was seriously considering buying another but was wondering if there were better alternatives?

It has 2x24w T5 fluorescent bulbs but is quite limited in growing height. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garland-G139-Grow-Light-Garden/dp/B0038NDWME/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371599539&sr=8-1&keywords=garland+grow+light

Any suggestions?

Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

ConfusedGardener

• Experienced Member
Re: Grow lights
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 22:41 »
It seems rather expensive for what you get. If you don't mind a little DIY, for £7.50 more you could buy 2x double 4 foot florescent fittings (that's 4x  36w T8) with tubes and reflectors from ebay - that's significantly more area/light. You'd also need a bit of bit of electrical cable to wire them together and connect to the mains plus a plug - another £5 perhaps. Then you could either hang them if you have somewhere you can attach hooks (a good idea since you can adjust height as needed) , or make a frame for them if not.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:43 »
It seems rather expensive for what you get. If you don't mind a little DIY, for £7.50 more you could buy 2x double 4 foot florescent fittings (that's 4x  36w T8) with tubes and reflectors from ebay - that's significantly more area/light. You'd also need a bit of bit of electrical cable to wire them together and connect to the mains plus a plug - another £5 perhaps. Then you could either hang them if you have somewhere you can attach hooks (a good idea since you can adjust height as needed) , or make a frame for them if not.
Thanks CG, I shall have a shufti when I get back from holiday.   :)  Looks like I may have something to occupy me over this winter this year... ::) :D

gremlin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 21:31 »
I am experimenting with a 125w compact florescent in a simple reflector to boost light levels in a dark corner of my greenhouse.

I see they are currently available at £30, which includes approx £20 for the bulb. The  light is OK when switched on, but if switched off to save money the reflector is so big it casts too much shade.
Sometimes my plants grow despite, not because of, what I do to them.

xx
grow lights

Started by LILLILEAF on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post February 03, 2024, 15:51
by Aunt Sally
xx
Grow-lights

Started by gremlin on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 23, 2012, 19:37
by Auntiemogs
xx
grow lights.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 09:49
by toasted
xx
Grow Lights

Started by Auntiemogs on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 02:21
by Auntiemogs

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.