Garlic Question

• 8 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Garlic Question
« on: May 19, 2015, 10:15 »
Hi all,

Planted my garlic last September they are growing well but some of them are producing flower spikes.  They are not ready to harvest yet, what should I do?  cut the flower head off.  Have dug up one plant there is no sign of a bulb developing - is it too early?  What are the signs of maturity?

Thank you for your comments.

Mike.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Garlic Question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 10:22 »
The flower spikes are called scapes and are edible - they're good in stirfies  :) It's quite normal for hardneck varieties.

Garlic is not ready until the tops start to die-off, have a furtle around the roots when that starts to happen, to see what is there, or whether to leave them 'til the leaves have all dried.

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 10:23 »
yes, pinch those flower heads off, you need to keep an eye on them, and onions, as soon as you see the beginning of a bud pinch it off  ;)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:24 »
Hardneck garlic produce 'scapes' rather than actual flowers which you can cut off and eat if you remove them before they become too tough (good in stir-fries.)

Good idea to cut them off whether you eat them or not because they will be taking some of the energy away from bulb development.

Should be ready when the foliage starts to die down, but don't let it completely die back as you would with shallots or onions as the cloves might start sprouting again.

Edit: Crikey - too slow!  :lol:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 11:30 »
Thank you,  I have pulled one up the root looks like a salad onion no actual bulb yet - too early yet than?  They have been in since Sept last so do they have a 12 month growing cycle?

Mike.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2015, 11:43 »
I always plant mine in Feb, and they are usually ready in late July/early August - I would expect yours to be ready early July, but obviously no two year's growing conditions are the same. Have another look when the foliage starts to yellow and die back.

Headgardener22

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2015, 12:31 »
You can use the early unformed plants as "green garlic" its supposed to be a more delicate flavour.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2015, 12:48 »
I always plant mine in Feb, and they are usually ready in late July/early August - I would expect yours to be ready early July, but obviously no two year's growing conditions are the same. Have another look when the foliage starts to yellow and die back.

It depends a lot on the variety - some are early maturing, some late maturing.  I've had very early ones ready for lifting at the end of May/early June but more usually mid-late June and late ones ready from about mid-late July/early August.  When a third of the leaves go brown, then I wouldn't leave them in the ground for much longer - lift one up to check.

To promote bulb formation, give them a top dressing of potash about now and water in - the potassium helps move carbohydrates into the cloves while the sulphur gives the garlic its familiar pungent flavours.

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 15:49 »
Mine has been in the ground since early October. I checked one to see how the bulb formation is going. A scratch around the dirt revealed one single bulb. They probably won't be ready until late June/ July.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

xx
Garlic question!

Started by fletcherbaker on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 21, 2010, 21:07
by FERDY
xx
Garlic question

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2015, 12:17
by LottyLouis
xx
Another garlic question

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 20, 2010, 10:39
by bigginge
xx
question re garlic

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 10:15
by DD.

Page created in 0.351 seconds with 35 queries.