strawberries from seed

• 4 Replies

amurdin

strawberries from seed
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:16 »
I am really keen to try strawberries from seed. I can't find much information about them so are they really that difficult and is it worth it? I want big fruits but the only seeds I can find seem to produce lots of small ones.

BabbyAnn

Re: strawberries from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:48 »
I am really keen to try strawberries from seed. I can't find much information about them so are they really that difficult and is it worth it? I want big fruits but the only seeds I can find seem to produce lots of small ones.

that's your answer I'm afraid - plants from runners are basically clones of the original strain which has been bred for whatever qualities (early-late, big fruits, flavours etc) whereas seeds will be a genetic mix from the parent plants so more likely to be smaller.

Starting plants from seed can be a little more challenging but not necessary more difficult providing you follow the sowing instructions.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 22:50 »
The only strawberries I've ever grown successfully from seed is the small alpine ones! sorry cant offer more advice!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26 »
Some years ago I grew a variety called Sarian from seed. It must have been relatively easy to grow, because I'm no expert, and it produced a good crop of medium sized strawberries over a few weeks. You probably won't better the varieties produced by the expert breeders in terms of taste and size, but it wasn't a bad strawberry. I think the seeds are still available.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:37 »
I've grown various Alpine and Everbearer strawberries from seed. They aren't as big as the plants that you buy from the garden centre. There's no real problem that I found except they can take a while to germinate and you won't get any fruit in the first year (at least I haven't ever).

I can't say that I've ever noticed any particular varieties available from seed that you can't buy as plants. In the past I've bought half a dozen plants of different varieties from the garden centre then propagated using runners.

xx
Strawberries from seed

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 23:45
by Paul Plots
xx
strawberries from seed

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 08:22
by richyrich7
xx
Strawberries from seed?

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 20:17
by sarah1983jane
xx
Starting strawberries from seed

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2009, 17:03
by Njal

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 35 queries.