strawberries from seed

• 4 Replies

amurdin

strawberries from seed
« on: May 17, 2015, 12:16 »
I am really keen to try strawberries from seed. I can't find much information about them so are they really that difficult and is it worth it? I want big fruits but the only seeds I can find seem to produce lots of small ones.

BabbyAnn

Re: strawberries from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 10:48 »
I am really keen to try strawberries from seed. I can't find much information about them so are they really that difficult and is it worth it? I want big fruits but the only seeds I can find seem to produce lots of small ones.

that's your answer I'm afraid - plants from runners are basically clones of the original strain which has been bred for whatever qualities (early-late, big fruits, flavours etc) whereas seeds will be a genetic mix from the parent plants so more likely to be smaller.

Starting plants from seed can be a little more challenging but not necessary more difficult providing you follow the sowing instructions.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 22:50 »
The only strawberries I've ever grown successfully from seed is the small alpine ones! sorry cant offer more advice!

jaydig

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 10:26 »
Some years ago I grew a variety called Sarian from seed. It must have been relatively easy to grow, because I'm no expert, and it produced a good crop of medium sized strawberries over a few weeks. You probably won't better the varieties produced by the expert breeders in terms of taste and size, but it wasn't a bad strawberry. I think the seeds are still available.

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2015, 12:37 »
I've grown various Alpine and Everbearer strawberries from seed. They aren't as big as the plants that you buy from the garden centre. There's no real problem that I found except they can take a while to germinate and you won't get any fruit in the first year (at least I haven't ever).

I can't say that I've ever noticed any particular varieties available from seed that you can't buy as plants. In the past I've bought half a dozen plants of different varieties from the garden centre then propagated using runners.

xx
Strawberries from seed?

Started by sarah1983jane on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 20:17
by sarah1983jane
xx
Strawberries from seed

Started by SpudtheBinx on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 23:45
by Paul Plots
xx
strawberries from seed

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 08:22
by richyrich7
xx
growing strawberries from seed

Started by bigben on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 03:27
by Trillium

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 32 queries.