How do overwintered onions decide they are ready?

• 10 Replies

bigben

How do overwintered onions decide they are ready?
« on: December 16, 2009, 14:42 »
I have a bit of my garden that is a rather shaded and wondered about growning onions in it. Another similar area only produced really small spring planted onions last year and I only have limited space.

Do overwintering onions grow for a set number of months and then stop or do they grow until they reach a certain size and stop? Given that there will still be plenty of sun around in June/July I wondered if it might be better to plant overwintering onions so they could potentially have longer to keep growing. This will not work if they simply stop growning after a set time rather than when reaching a set maturity/size.

( I realise it is too late to get them in this year). The soil I grew my others in, did have a fair bit of home compost and chicken pellets in last year but still only gave small onions. Some only the size of golf balls. My other thought was to change the type grown to try to get a useful size rather than golf balls. My previous attempt was Sturon. Any ideas?

Nobbie

Re: How do overwintered onions decide they are ready?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 15:01 »
I think onions will only grow up until mid summer irrespective of what size they get to. It sounds like it's the shade that's the problem as onions like full sun and whenever mine get shaded by other plants they are always a lot smaller.

DavidT

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2009, 19:14 »
Onions tend to start ripening around August time. When did you plant your sets this year? If they went in late I would suggest that was the problem.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 00:19 »
Onions grow leaves while the days are lengthening, i.e. until mid-Summers day, then they change to growing a bulb. Whatever size your onion plants have reached by mid-Summers day will largely determine how big their bulb can grow. Hence the reason why competition growers sow seed early in January.

bigben

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 09:14 »
Thanks guys - the growing leaves until midsummer then bulbs idea makes sense. I guess I will just have to put up with small onions. I had a tree cut down last year so that might help the situation. Unfortunately we border a park and I cannot do much about the trees in that - they do provide some nice leaf litter this time of year though, so shouldent grumble too much.

SG6

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 18:35 »
There appear to be 3 types of onions, not varieties.
These are:

Short-day onions: These start forming bulbs when days are 11-12 hours long.
Intermediate-day onions: These need days that are 12-14 hours long.
Long-day onions: These varieties need days longer than 14 hours.

So it depends on what type your variety falls into.
I will say that I have never seen any variety classified by their type.

The site this came from is:
http://www.vegetableexpert.co.uk/GrowingOnions.html

It further states:
Bulb formation is affected by temperature, light intensity, and the amount of light and darkness. Once the balance of daylight and darkness reaches a certain point, leaf growth ceases and bulb growth begins. Onions are classified as short-day, intermediate-day and long-day:

It's important to choose the right type of onion for your area. Pick the wrong variety and you'll still get onions, but they probably won't be as big as you'd like. In general, long-day onions grow better in northern climates and short-day onions are better suited to southern gardens. Intermediate or day-neutral onions will grow anywhere. Growing short-day varieties in the North will result in leaf growth stopping too soon to produce a large bulb.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 19:21 »
That is very interesting, SG6 and new to me. Thank you.

I'm just lucky I guess that I got the kind that grew bulbs when I planted them in mid March   :) :)

Thank goodness  ;)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SG6

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 20:25 »
I read it a couple of years back and when I plant onions I often wonder what type they are and am I sticking the right type in the ground. Basically not a clue :D :D :D :D

Have no idea which varieties fall into which classification, but it might explain why a variety grows fine for one person and not so well for another. Especially if someone is in the north where length of day varies most.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 20:27 »
Glad I'm not oop narf then  :blink: :blink:

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 00:02 »
Unfortunately I don't think you'll ever have much success growing onions in a shady spot.
You really need full sunshine otherwise you'll just get loads of tops and no bulbs. :(
Don't add too much Chicken Poo as this is very high in Nitrogen and you'll get a load of thick necks and small bulbs,.
Sturon are a good variety though as are Setton.
 :)
Click my little globe to visit my Veg growing Website.

Salmo

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 00:32 »
Probably when they are talking of onions types beig suitable for north and south they do not mean Bolton or London but rather Northern Europe and Mediteranian/ North Africa.

xx
Overwintered Onions

Started by lotstolearn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 04, 2011, 11:54
by DD.
xx
Overwintered onions - when do they bulk up?

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 19, 2014, 06:34
by New shoot
xx
overwintered onions and shallots

Started by boddy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 22, 2014, 22:26
by gavinjconway
xx
Overwintered onions have very skinny bulbs....

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 31, 2011, 17:29
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.397 seconds with 39 queries.