Legal tomato blight treatments ???

• 5 Replies

Hampshire Hog

Legal tomato blight treatments ???
« on: July 03, 2020, 17:08 »
Hi all I don’t like the look of my tomato plants and suspect blight. Somewhat annoying as otherwise doing well outside at home. I am aware that some traditional treatments have been banned. Question is are there any treatments still available & legal / approved for use. Visiting our local garden centre they had lots of treatments for roses but not for veg as far as I could see. Thanks HH
« Last Edit: July 03, 2020, 17:13 by Hampshire Hog »
Keep digging

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Re: Legal tomato blight treatments ???
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2020, 18:25 »
This may help:

https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/planting-and-maintenance/fighting-tomato-blight

For general disease resistance, I find that assuring a ready supply of calcium is helpful, especially in acidic soil.  I am supplying that with pelletized dolomitic limestone, a handful mixed with the soil per plant, and also calcium nitrate fertilizer (1 teaspoon/gallon).  In addition, I occasionally apply Epsom salts (rate 1/2 teaspoon/gallon) and a fertilizer intended for tomatoes.  I rotate between these supplements.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 07:05 »
No offers of advice, just here to say you aren't suffering alone!  I have two pots of potatoes and 1 black cherry tomato that look blighted.  Moved other plants a few feet away but pots are a bit big and I've already done my back once this year moving big plant pots  I've not eaten a tomato from the plant yet either.  I'm probably going to bin the blighted plants over the weekend and hope that other plants around them somehow avoided infection.

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2020, 07:23 »
Soluble aspirin is known to help, because a traditional method of keeping blight at bay, is to layer willow chippings around the stems.

Salycylic acid is a known deterrent for blight, but it may not always work! I've used it many times in the past but sprayed it on the whole plant before blight descends, not during or after an attack.

Use one standard tablet per 3.5 litres of water, but that's just a calculation I got from the net, you could use more - or less!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2020, 08:52 »
Vitax Copper mixture, which prevents nutrient deficiency, is widely available on-line - some OBs use it on  allotments, here.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2020, 12:17 »
Thanks all I will try the copper and aspirin and cross my fingers HH

xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
clip
Is this tomato blight or something else?

Started by OakR on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 17, 2020, 16:45
by JayG
xx
tomato blight again

Started by jd67stella on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post September 02, 2011, 16:06
by Mr Rotavator
xx
Tomato blight again ?

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 17, 2010, 13:25
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 39 queries.