Hospital/isolation coop

• 4 Replies

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
Hospital/isolation coop
« on: February 29, 2012, 21:42 »
Following some recent chook problems I'm thinking that it might be useful to have somewhere to put sick, new or downright stroppy birds to protect the rest of the team.

I think I can get something very similar to this http://www.chickencoopsandhouses.co.uk/cocoon-CC2000-chicken-coop-house.html for free and wondered if I could replace the felt roof with wood or something else as I know felt is redmite heaven. (As confirmed in hedgewych's recent thread.) Anyone tried to do something similar?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hospital/isolation coop
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 07:59 »
I always liked a single storey coop for isolation/recovery just in case they couldn't walk up the ramp - something like this would do:-

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/poultry-houses-chicken-coops/116

it would also be good as a broody coop  :)

Before using it make sure you treat it with a wood preservative and then diatom slurry  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

helens-hens

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 10:18 »
Hope I am not hijacking this discussion but I am glad somebody brought this up.

My problem is lack of space to keep a 2nd hen house, even a small one when it isn't in use. I was thinking of getting a large wire dog crate (which is foldable) and making a perch and getting some sort of dark, waterproof cover and then dividing the run area into 2.

Providing the weather isn't cold, I thought this would work as a temporary unit for up to 2 hens (this is what is behind it - I am hoping to get a couple more in the next 2 weeks and need to keep them sperate from the others for a week - 2 weeks).

Does this seem like a plausable idea?
Helen

Ben_H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:46 »
No worries helen's-hens. Happy for the hijack.

I must say I'd though of the dog crate idea but was thinking of the cost involved and even second hand they hold their value as I know from selling one long before we had chooks.

You could probably put some woodchip in the bottom to allow for some scratching around.

Joyfull, I wanted to go for the off the ground option for space (and rat proofing) as wherever I end up putting the spare coop it will not have a lot of room. It would also give access to grass or whatever substarte it is sat on.

I do however appreciate your point on a ground sitting one making it easier for a poorly hen to get into. The good thing about the coop I flagged up is that I hope it would be free or very cheap. It's been sitting empty in the garden of the house of a local chap that died for at least a year. The developer who has done it up is looking to sell the property again so I thought I would offer to take it off his hands.

Maybe I should ask some other neighbours if they have plans for their old guinea pig hutch and run

kegs

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 14:23 »
Ben, the first coop you mentioned is the type I use for four of our egg layers and we took off all of the felt and replaced it with onduline.  It is however a pain to clean and slurry, unless you happen to be double jointed and thinner than a model.  ;)

xx
my chook put me in hospital :)

Started by Dannii on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 23:56
by compostqueen
xx
how to plan for unexpected hospital visit.

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 11:08
by ManicMum
xx
Which plastic house to buy as a hospital/quarantine/red mite decant wing?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 25, 2012, 08:15
by Casey76
xx
Which coop?

Started by Mulberry1990 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 25, 2011, 10:42
by Vecten

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 35 queries.