WHY ????

• 12 Replies

pepsi100

WHY ????
« on: April 03, 2015, 18:59 »
Why are my hens always hungry ?

They have a feeder that is always full every day,(a mixture of pellets, maize and mixed corn) fresh water and greens, but if I throw a scoop of corn, pellets or maize into the run, it becomes a free for all,

Okay Barry the cockerel doesnt get much of a look in (beats me how he ever got so big, he always gets pushed to the back as the girls swarm around)

Its the same thing when they get a cabbage or lettuce, another free for all

They do eat from the feeder, but nothing like the frenzy when they get loose food
It's all about the journey, not the destination

meterman

• Experienced Member
Re: WHY ????
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 20:51 »
sweets and kids do i need say more

Sparkyrog

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 21:29 »
No  :lol:
I cook therefore I grow

pepsi100

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 22:05 »
But its the same stuff in the feeder as I am scattering in the run (apart from the greens)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 06:23 »
Mine do the same Pepsi  :lol:

I keep their bags of food in a dustbin lined with a black plastic bag.  Every so often I empty the black plastic bag into their run to get rid of spilt bits that are in there and they go crazy.

Like many of the things they do, it probably makes perfect sense if you are a chicken   :unsure:  :wacko:  ::)

Prod

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:35 »
Mine do the same. No matter where I am on the field they follow me expecting food. If I leave either the shed or the feed store open they are in straight away foraging even if I have just given them fresh food in the feeder or even thrown a scoop of corn down. Two of them always manage to get into the ducks pens too and eat their wheat if they can. Their favourite is a chopped up apple and they go bananas (sorry) for it and even take pieces out of the other birds beaks. I think it is just the nature of the beast. ::)

pepsi100

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 12:16 »
I just sat out in the garden watching them, drinking a coffee and eating a bacon sarnie, I have never had anything show so much interest, I put down a pile of corn, nope not interested, they wanted the sarnie, one of the * even tried my coffee

Of course Barry just stood back, how does a cockerel get so big when they get pushed to the back or just find tasty tidbits for the hens ?

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 11:09 »
Barry will be standing back to let the girls have their fill. You will see him do this and call the girls over when he finds something tasty. You may be feeding too much corn and maize! :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

pepsi100

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 11:24 »
I give em a scoop of each (maize, mixed corn), nearly every day, about 1/2 liter, it gives em something to scratch around for in the run

They have a feeder full of pellets

Then they get their greens, a lettuce, a cabbage, or a cauliflower, depends which is cheapest in the market

They lay most days, I guess the, none have complained

Now I have covered the run, they don't get so muddy now, but I did the run over every week, that's when Barry finds worms for them, why he don't eat them himself I don't know :(

grinling

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 21:35 »
he is a gentlemen. Do all the girls get worms or is he fussy about who gets what?

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 22:36 »
Nope, no favourite's, treats them all the same, no matter what goes in the run, he gets pushed back out of the way, when the ladies have had their fill he gets whats left (usually not much)

Watched hi today, he scratched out some worms, called em over, I don't think he got any

I guess this is where the saying hen pecked came from  :)

grinling

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2015, 12:01 »
Roberta would do that after hatching Mavis last year and only stopped recently. If anything really interesting then one clucks to bring the others over.

pepsi100

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2015, 12:54 »
I let them out yesterday while I cleaned out their coop and nesting boxes

There was some dispute between 2 of the hens, they kicked off, squawking and carrying on, Barry rushed over, knocked one of them over, that was it, dispute over

There was no pecking or anything, he just seemed to know which one to blame, and knocked her over, she went off feathers all fluffed up, no idea what it was over

I don't think he has to crow very much, he has no competition, he has all the girls he could want (14), so nothing to prove

He picks a high point and just looks over the hens rather haughtily (I think)

Quite comical to watch him :) :) :)

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 37 queries.