Pigs and chickens

• 2 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Pigs and chickens
« on: May 23, 2014, 14:21 »
I really want a pet micro pig. I mean REALLY want one. Would they live well with chickens? I have a huge run and have a water butt that I could turn into a house for it. I would call it Stan and take it for walks with my dogs... I'm sure I'm not the weirdest person on this forum lol.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Pigs and chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:44 »
I'm not sure whether a pig in the same run would be a good idea  :unsure:  Even a micro pig could do damage to a hen and pigs will eat meat given half a chance.  I think eggs would be on the menu as well if the pig could get to them.

It seems walking them like a dog is not without its complications either.  Some good advice here.  The 3rd pdf link on the right is very comprehensive info on the paperwork needed, but a direct link won't work  :)

http://www.rspca.org.uk/allaboutanimals/pets/farmanimals/pigs

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Pigs and chickens
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 08:03 »
Please be careful if you go down this route. A 'micro' pig is merely a smallish pig which has been bred down, so there are no guarantees that it will stay small. And they are intelligent creatures who like company. As New Shoot says, there are rules about moving pigs about too.

But if you have a lot of spare space and don't mind if it grows large and can take the responsibility of it if it does, go for it. There are many stories out there from people who were assured their little piggy will stay tiny only for them to keep growing, there are no guarantees whatever the breeder will tell you.

No idea about mixing them but they will, as NS says, eat anything.

xx
guinea pigs and chickens

Started by pepperpot77 on Pets without Feathers

4 Replies
Last post July 03, 2010, 21:46
by spottymint
xx
G Pigs

Started by spottymint on Pets without Feathers

6 Replies
Last post December 14, 2010, 19:17
by daisy1990
xx
Pigs. Pigs everywhere!!!

Started by scabs on Pets without Feathers

35 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 09:15
by shetan
xx
We are getting some pigs.

Started by debih on Pets without Feathers

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2010, 09:12
by gsc

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 40 queries.