Red mite prevention?

• 14 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
Red mite prevention?
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:23 »
Hello everyone.  Me again.  I only got my four ex-bats a week ago and they were installed in their brand new wooden hen house (Dorking + 2 runs from P&T Poultry).  I have been giving them a little clean out every day but yesterday did a proper clean (although I'm not sure they actually needed it as nothing is that dirty yet).  But I just wondered about the Poultry Shield / Diatom usage...  Do I need to clean out with Poultry Shield and puff the Diatom everywhere now?  It seems daft to wait until I (well, not me personally, the chooks - obviously) get red mite before doing anything but I don't want to overdo the chemicals either.  That Diatom made the cat sneeze yesterday!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Red mite prevention?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 12:55 »
Diatom will make anyone sneeze if they breath it in  :lol:

Diatom is not a "chemical" it is what is called non-crystaline silica.  It's the fosilised remains of see algae from thousnds of years ago and it is abrasive to the parasites (lice, mites and their eggs/nymphs) causing them to dehydrate and die.

Use it all the time to prevent the beasties getting established.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 13:21 »
Thank you Aunty!

So I can apply liberally and do no harm?  Me, the chooks, or the cat?

poultrygeist

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 13:26 »
I had to try and describe what it is to an animal feed/supply merchant this morning. They'd never heard of it although they supply poultry equipment and feed  ::)

At least they've learnt something. :)

Rob 8)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 13:33 »
Amanda
My coop etc is brand new too (now 1 week old)..... I'm using everything I can get my hands on to make sure it stays clean and hopefully mite free. :)
Jeyes where there's been poo, and poultry shield and diatom absolutely everywhere.  Also lice power in the nest boxes as a finishing touch.
I've taken to wearing a disposable face mask when at it with Diatom (they're adjustable, so would fit the cat), and if I knew where I have safely stowed my safety goggles, I'd be wearing them too.
I read on the piece of paper that came with the Diatom, that it can be used for any insect infestation, even in your kitchen cupboards, completely organic product.  Only hazarous if you are a tiny, tiny, tiny thing, and then it's like jagged bits of glass :ohmy:

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 14:24 »
Gosh.  You're taking a belt and braces approach to this hygiene thing then flowerpot?  :tongue2:

You're probably right, I just felt a bit of a fool yesterday, cleaning things that looked clean and spraying things about.  It says that you have to get Diatom into the cracks in your house, but if it is a wooden one there are about a million! And - oh, it's so obvious with hindsight - we bought a house that has a door on the back but it's not actually that easy to get into it to clean.  Anyone got any tips?

poultrygeist

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 14:33 »
Can't help with access tips I'm afraid. I made my own and still have the same problem.

But definitely better to start off clean and lay down a carpet of something to keep them at bay than to try and cure a problem that's already got a foothold.
I have only ever used red mite powder and don't clean out that often but we've been lucky so far.

Don't panic about it but be vigilant and keep the coop as clean as you want to keep it. Everyone does it differently, but it's you who has to worry about it ! :D

Rob 8)

Flowerpower136

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 14:54 »
Gosh.  You're taking a belt and braces approach to this hygiene thing then flowerpot?  :tongue2:

You're probably right, I just felt a bit of a fool yesterday, cleaning things that looked clean and spraying things about.  It says that you have to get Diatom into the cracks in your house, but if it is a wooden one there are about a million! And - oh, it's so obvious with hindsight - we bought a house that has a door on the back but it's not actually that easy to get into it to clean.  Anyone got any tips?

Nothing is too much effort for my girls.

Get the 'puff bottle' of Diatom, it gets everywhere!  When you have a shower afterwards, you'll be amazed :ohmy:  Believe me, every crevice ::)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 14:56 »
But definitely better to start off clean and lay down a carpet of something to keep them at bay than to try and cure a problem that's already got a foothold.
Rob 8)

Rob - Yours have a carpert??  :ohmy:, do they have matching curtains as well??  :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

poultrygeist

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 15:08 »
...and wallpaper  :wub:

Quote from: Flowerpower136
Get the 'puff bottle' of Diatom, it gets everywhere!  When you have a shower afterwards, you'll be amazed :ohmy:  Believe me, every crevice ::)

At least you won't get feather mites  :blink:

Flowerpower136

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 15:22 »
It's not my feathers I'm worried about............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 15:41 »
we bought a house that has a door on the back but it's not actually that easy to get into it to clean.  Anyone got any tips?

Make a new door ? or try using a cut down draw hoe to reach places easy and drag out the debris that way
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

poultrygeist

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 15:44 »
Good thinking Rich.

I have made myself a home-made poop dragger. 2ft long batten. Short 'T' piece with screws through to make a sort of rake. Works to a point. :)

Rob 8)

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 16:55 »
Make a NEW DOOR, richyrich?  Are you serious?  I couldn't hang a picture and my husband is an IT consultant (so a positive liability with power tools).  No no, if it came to that, I think I'd just buy a new hen house  :tongue2:

The floor of the house is a tray that pulls out but it's the walls and roof I am worried about as they are hard to get at.  I have the Diatom puffer thing flowerpower, thanks.  I was being a bit careful with it but I think now perhaps I'll get puff happy!

I'll probably draw the line at carpets and curtains but you're right flowerpower, nothing is too good for our girls - especially my little ex-bats...

Thank you all for your advice - you guys are brilliant!  

cochin

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 21:58 »
Amanda
My coop etc is brand new too (now 1 week old)..... I'm using everything I can get my hands on to make sure it stays clean and hopefully mite free. :)
Jeyes where there's been poo, and poultry shield and diatom absolutely everywhere.  Also lice power in the nest boxes as a finishing touch.
I've taken to wearing a disposable face mask when at it with Diatom (they're adjustable, so would fit the cat), and if I knew where I have safely stowed my safety goggles, I'd be wearing them too.
I read on the piece of paper that came with the Diatom, that it can be used for any insect infestation, even in your kitchen cupboards, completely organic product.  Only hazarous if you are a tiny, tiny, tiny thing, and then it's like jagged bits of glass :ohmy:
watch out for Jeyes Fluid though - not really brilliant stuff around hens

xx
Mite prevention

Started by Trisha on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 13, 2010, 09:51
by Trisha
xx
Red Mite Prevention

Started by Blobbs on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 16, 2012, 11:20
by Blobbs
xx
New hen house & red mite prevention

Started by Chappers on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 15:19
by Belinda
xx
Red Mite prevention advice wanted.

Started by viks chicks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 18:49
by Porffor

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 39 queries.