Feeder & drinker & what to do with grit?

• 4 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Feeder & drinker & what to do with grit?
« on: April 30, 2012, 21:48 »
Hello again.  Getting sick of me yet!

Right, I've had a little trip down to the farm shop today, I have some layers pellets, some corn for a treat, some grit and some bedding.  I got a little feeding trough thing that I'm planning on popping the corn in, under the house in an evening.

So I'm now looking for a good feeder and drinker.  We have rats in the village, so I'm looking for a feeder that they aren't going to knock over and feed on the floor of the run and that I can remove of a night-time.  I was going to get hubby to make one, but I've seen this: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5Kg-GALVANISED-METEL-FEED-HOPPER-GREAT-HENS-BANTAMS-RABBITS-TOO-/380413696230?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Poultry&hash=item58926c58e6

Was thinking I could attach it to the fence at hen head height and then just lift it out of a night time and pop it up high on the wall of the house.

Then for the water I was looking for something in plastic cos I will prob add ACV so I thought this looked quite good too:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360393785892?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290612728189?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

What do you guys reckon - any good or over engineered?  I'm only getting 3 ladies, but I work 3 days a week, so on them days I don't want them to knock water over and go without all day.

Also, what do you guys put your grit in? How much and when do I offer, they will be 16 wk shaver browns, do I offer straight away or only if thye show signs of needing it?

ACV - do you put in all the time?

I think that is me done for tonight's questions.  Thanks in advance

poohpouri

Re: Feeder & drinker & what to do with grit?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 22:04 »
Hi dont put the corn in the little hang on feeder put grit in it instead. With the corn scatter a small amount now and again on the floor.two much corn and hens stop/reduce egg laying

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 10:23 »
They all look fine but it is best to have more than one feeding station and water station.  This gives all the hens chance in the case of bullying.  It is also a backup in case of the water spilling/leaking.

Does the grit you bought have oystershell mixed in?  If not you will need to get some as they need it to help the formation of the shell.  The grit is to help them digest their food.

As poohpouri said, best not to give too many treats.  Just enough for them to gobble up.  The head hen would just help herself to it all if you put it in a container.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

kegs

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32 »
The galvanised feeder you've picked out is in fact continually open so rats will still be able to eat from it and are in fact very good climbers.  I saved up and bought a treadle feeder from here

http://www.flytesofancy.co.uk/chickenhouses/Galvanised_Treadle_Poultry_Feeder.html

I only have to top it up once a week, it keeps the food dry and there is a lot less waste.  I also keep a second plastic smaller feeder in the run of their coop just in case of bullying.

ACV once every couple of weeks only in plastic drinkers not galvanised.  Grit and oyster shell available all of the time (check your grit because the shell may already be in there.)

Good luck - it's exciting isn't it.  ;)

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 13:04 »
The grit does have oyster shell in it too.  It does say not to give to chicks or pullets, smaller grit is available.  I'm guessing I've bought the wrong thing - it was the only small container they had.  Could I just mash it a little more with a pestle and mortar do you think?

I wasn't clear, what I meant by put it on the house, was my house next to the patio doors at about 5 foot, so it's ready to go in the morning when I'm rushing on my way out to work (Not the hen house).  Was that the only comment about the feeder, is it a good one other than that?  I don't think we have a huge rat problem in the village.  We have seen one, once.  I know on the outskirts they do, but they're coming in off the old munitions dump and that's about half a mile away.

I have bought 1x1/2" weld mesh as I was told this is what was needed for rat issues and over the next week or two we're going to dig it into the ground and line the bottom half of the fence.  I have also lifted the house up on supported stilts, so the ladies have some shelter until we build a roof and so it doesn't help harbour vermin.

I don't think we will have an issue with rats, but I want to be as careful as possible as I'm sure neither the neighbours or children would appriciate me encouraging them in.

I think since I'm only getting 3 girls, I'll hold off buying another feeder for the time being and see how they get on.  I can always put a bowl out or nip down to the farm shop if bullying is an issue, but thanks for pointing it out.  I didn't even consider needing 2 stations.

So....here's the new plan, unless you tell me different.

Mash the grit and shell a little and stick in the run in a little container.  Don't put corn in a container, just a little sprinkled by the children of an evening as a treat.

Buy that feeder & the 3lt drinker & some ACV.  Add ACV every couple of weeks, be aware I may need a second station.

Finally, what do you do about hanging your veggies up?  Just with some string and attach to the weld mesh?  Is there any veggies they can't have?  I'm just thinking if I go to the supermarket and they have ther just about to turn really cheap stuff, can I essntially give them anything from that isle?

xx
What size feeder & drinker?

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:30
by Sassy
xx
feeder abd drinker sizes

Started by massa on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 23:11
by hillfooter
xx
Drinker & Feeder Advice Please

Started by Harmonic on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 22:09
by Squibbs
xx
what size feeder and drinker?

Started by bockhamptoners on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 09:27
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 37 queries.