Drinker & Feeder Advice Please

• 5 Replies

Harmonic

Drinker & Feeder Advice Please
« on: April 02, 2012, 19:50 »
Hello,

I'm new to this forum and if possible I would be extremely grateful for any advice on suitable drinkers and feeders to accommodate 6 Light Sussex hens please.

Thanks.

kopperdrake

• Experienced Member
  • One Step at a Time
    • Merrybower Homestead
Re: Drinker & Feeder Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 00:42 »
After trying various drinkers/feeders I've just bought a small covered galvanised trough with a ball cock filling arrangement from Ascott Supplies:

http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Metal_Poultry_Drinkers.html

It's fantastic - with a flock of 10 they were getting through water quickly - this does help. I've also got through 2 plastic drinkers in 4 years through dropping them as they become more brittle with age.

As for feeders, again I'm going to go for the vermin proof treadle feeder on the page below  as it's water proof, rat proof and can hold a decent amount:

http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Galvanised_Poultry_Feeders.html

Just no good for me at the moment as I still have one banty, they're not heavy enough to trigger it!

Neither of these are the cheapest, but I've had enough of false economy.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 10:48 »
I have recently bought Easy clean drinker 18 litres which they also do in a 12 litre model.
http://ascott-dairy.co.uk/acatalog/Plastic_Poultry_Drinkers.html

I wanted something that will make it easier for my Chicken Sitter when we go away.  It is amazing how much they drink on a hot day.

I also have bought feeders and drinkers from here
www.thechickenhousecompany.co.uk as they are reasonably priced and decent quality.  They sell them in complete packages £7 for one of each 3ltr feeder and 3 kg drinker and £10 for the 6ltr/6kg version.

It is always best to have 2 or even 3 of each in case of bullying and of course if one drinker gets knocked over it is best to have a backup to stop dehydration.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

splash101

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 13:23 »
If the feeder is not in a covered area, look at ones with a rain shield otherwise it will clog up and fresh food wont be able to come out and the damp food around the bottom will start to go mouldy very quickly

Harmonic

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 20:22 »
Might be a daft question, but how long will a 6 ltr drinker and a 6kg feeder last 6 hens?

Squibbs

• 2nd Pumpkin Contest 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 22:09 »
A six litre drinker will technically last 2 days but its much better to change water daily. A 6kg feeder will last about 5 or 6 days if full up - again if you can avoid leaving food lying about you'll get less rats etc.

I was rather fed up with lugging water about so using a plastic planter, a drill, a ball valve thing made my own which is connected via MDPE to my outdoor tap for about £15 in total.  During the day it fills itself up as they drink. With 30 odd chickens its been one of my more sensible projects.
My maths shows that bird is equal to or greater than the word...

xx
What size feeder & drinker?

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 09:30
by Sassy
xx
feeder abd drinker sizes

Started by massa on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post August 27, 2010, 23:11
by hillfooter
xx
what size feeder and drinker?

Started by bockhamptoners on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 09:27
by Fifitrix
xx
Feeder & drinker & what to do with grit?

Started by rcf100 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2012, 13:04
by rcf100

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 37 queries.