BABY PIGEON

• 2 Replies

Little jack

BABY PIGEON
« on: September 04, 2009, 21:43 »
 :blink:HELP................... yesterday i found a baby pigeon in our chicken run - very small still with fluffy feathers sticking out.I left it there most of the day to see if it went any where or the mum came back for it.Later that evening there was now 2 of them and no mum !!!!!!!!!! mmmmm i have now put them in a box with shavings in the corner of the chicken run for warmth, just in case the mum comes back.

What should i feed them on?? Bread and water or worms ??
Thanks jackie.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 21:46 by DD. »

iwantanallotment

Re: BABY PIGEON
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 22:59 »
Hiya Jackie. Just wondering, do you have a pigeon nest nearby that they could've fallen out of? It's very odd that there are two, so that's all I can think of.

I found these links for you - I expect a lot of it depends upon the age of the birds as to what they eat - are you able to post pics of them for more knowledgeable bird folk to guess their age?

http://www.duckpolice.org/BirdWeb/PigeonResourceWeb/babypigeoncare.html

and

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071121185240AASRqs6 (very informative)
RE the above link, keep an eye out for the parent birds lingering about? They may not want to enter your run in order to feed the babies, but are bound to be concerned and not far away.

You could always give the RSPB a ring too.
But I suspect a fox will find them pretty quickly if they're in a cardboard box outside  :(
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 23:08 by iwantanallotment »

Sassy

Re: BABY PIGEON
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 09:27 »
I perhaps have a suspicious mind, but following on from past posts on here could there be the possibility that someone has found the chicks and thought you would know what to do?

But Iwnatan's suggestion is certainly worth looking at. It has been windy lately.

If they have fallen out of the nest the RSPB will advise leaving them where they are as the parents will feed them on the ground. However, I am not sure if your chooks would allow this.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Baby pigeon & pic of my coop & run so far....

Started by Chookaholic on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 22:35
by Chookaholic
xx
race pigeon Help!!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post July 18, 2012, 15:58
by shetan
xx
Pigeon keeping

Started by Bodger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 06, 2008, 22:02
by Bodger
xx
Tylosin+ sachets 10x7,5 g by Chevita for Racing Pigeon-Ok for Hens?!

Started by Missie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 09, 2010, 17:30
by joyfull

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 33 queries.