help please : (

• 4 Replies

wolverine

• Experienced Member
help please : (
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:01 »
over the last 3 days my annie has laid 1 egg near the dust bath and 2 soft eggs they have access to oyster shell what else could cause this besides calcium ? I need to see a good egg before Wednesday cause I'm of on holiday and I'll worry like mad. What can I try
any sugestions much appreciated

"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

hillfooter

Re: help please : (
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:12 »
Probably the hot weather there's lots of folk getting the odd soft or thin shelled egg at the moment.  I'm getting the odd one as well.  The heat affects their blood chemistry and can cause heat stress.  There's ots of RM about too so check for mites too.

Make sure they have lots shade and cool water and if ACV stimulates them to drfink you can add this for 7 days, or if you have any multivits you can add these.  Put out extra drinkers while you are away.

Nothing to be worried about so don't fret while you are away.

HF
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 12:37 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:20 »
OR...

Fill her up with yogurt and cod liver oil.

It might make her droppings a but runny but it is a fast source of calcium and phosphorous.  the cold liver oil (Just a few drops) will give her Vits A & D3.

It's not an instant fix but will do a lot the help her out of the crisis. 

For the future add some Battles Poultry drink to the drinking water each day - it contains lots of things including Phosphorus.  Get some limestone flour (from horse feed shop).  Give her about half a teaspoonful each day in some moist food that she will eat, I use moist layers mash but whatever you want to use e.g. mashed potato, porridge. would be fine.

Keep supplementing until egg shells are back to normal.

PS. My hens are laying rock hard shells and we have had more very hot weather here than any other part of the country.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 18:00 »
Hi guys thanks for that I already give them apple cider vinegar with garlic in the water each day is this to often? also it's not been that warn here it was alot hotter a few weeks ago and no softies then a can't see any red mite and I covered the coop in jeyes last week so all o can think of is perhaps a problem obsorbing the calcium???? I'm not an expert but what else could it be?   

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 18:02 »
Greens help them to absorb calcium, but you could try adding some poultry spice in with their feed as this is 24% calcium as well  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 36 queries.