Chick's first trip outside!! :D And still no signs of life from other eggs..

• 9 Replies

RosiePosie

One of our Bluebelles Talulah has been sitting on some eggs for 3 weeks, 1 of which hatched on Wednesday (we lost 3 of the 6 for various reasons, 2 haven't hatched so not sure if they're viable), and is now a beautiful, lively little RIR chick we have named Bella (Eggward if its a boy but we really want it to be a girl so already named it haha), who has just made her first steps out of the nest! yesterday we were worried because Talulah hadn't eaten/drunk much since Bella was born, so we moved the food and water inside, so they've been fine inside, but today I moved the food back out around mid-afternoon, and they stood in the doorway to see what I was doing, then at dinnertime Talulah brought her out to have some food, water and a stretch then back in again :tongue2: what I thought was really adorable was how Talulah kept rosey and looking at Bella, as if to say 'and this is the garden, watch your step', it was really funny!  Bella was more interested in the food though, and keeps standing in the dish so as to get as much food as possible down her neck haha :tongue2: that or she likes the feel of chick crumb between her toes ;)

It's been 4 days since she was born now, yet the other 2 haven't hatched, should we hang on just a bit longer or take them out? Mum tried to get hold of some one day old chicks to put under Talulah, so she wasn't stressed out about the eggs being taken away, but the seller didn't answer the phone or call back, she might try again tomorrow.
1 Dog 2 Cats 7 Chickens 1 Chick... <3

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
does mum keep going back to sit on the eggs?
Staffies are softer than you think.

RosiePosie

Yes she does, so thats made me more unsure because she should know if they're going to hatch shouldn't she, but then, its been so long since the first one hatched..

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
give her a few more days but in the meantime line up some day or teo day old chicks just in case  :)

RosiePosie

Ok, thank you, mum does want some more chicks but its getting my dad to agree, we didn't tell him about the eggs until we'd already ordered them!

bantam novice

Hello RosiePosie,
I have to agree with Joy here.  My first chick this year hatched out on Easter Monday and my second didn't hatch until three/four days later.  It was the same with mother hen still sitting on the eggs.  Good idea to have some day/two day old chicks ready just in case  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

curries

• Experienced Member
Hi Rosie, just wondered what happened with your lone chick, did she get any sisters?
I dog, 1 cat, 1 horse, 1 Light Sussex, 2 Speckledys, 2 Cuckoo Maran:)

RosiePosie

No unfortunately not, but she's happy enough without, we moved their little pen into the big one a few days ago & she spends a lot of time out with the others now, they're starting to get used to their new little niece! She's getting more & more feathers everyday and she has a little tuft of a tail, it's adorable! She's unfortunately learning to use her voice more, she's sometimes louder than her aunties!  :tongue2:

curries

• Experienced Member
Ah bless her (hope it is a her), they change so quickly don't they, mine are 3 weeks old now and I'm still debating whether they are boys or girls (and hoping!!) :)

bantam novice

Sounds like she is holding her own with the aunties  :)  Good luck and keep us posted.

xx
my six chick eggs

Started by kevans on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 20:15
by Squiggly
xx
Eggs.. How do you know if the egg has a chick in it or not? Do you.............

Started by samhor on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 09, 2009, 16:56
by raeburg
xx
Signs of first egg?

Started by lorraine46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 28, 2007, 14:46
by lorraine46
xx
Signs of an old hen

Started by Thingy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 24, 2010, 16:11
by evie2

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 29 queries.