Junk Shops

• 4 Replies

Thrift

Junk Shops
« on: October 31, 2010, 11:09 »
I wonder do junk shops still exist in England or were they eclipsed by antique shops?

I furnished our first cottage in the sixties entirely from junk shops and still have many items today. I did a weekly circuit of 5 or 6 shops, mainly around Hillfields in Coventry and also visited a few in Rugby.

Amongst my finds was an oval breakfast table in elm for £5, copper kerb for the fireplace 10s, copper coal scuttle 25s, oak bureau £5 and (against all principles oak side table £10  :ohmy: All had to be cleaned, sanded, polished etc. ( part of the fun ) and are still in use today. Curtains were homemade from wonderful market stall fabrics by Warner and Baker at £3 a yard.

Happy times  :)

compostqueen

Re: Junk Shops
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 11:16 »
Yes, there are still junk shops about.  I did a upholstery course so made it my business to find them locally  :)  Local auctions are usually a good source too. Freecycle is also a boon  :D

Spana

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 11:16 »
Same here Thrift, still got and still in daily use many bits picked up from junk shops in the 60s and wouldn't part with any of them. :happy:

Suppose car boot sales have taken over from the junk shop we remember ::)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 11:35 »
And "collectors" fairs. We have several Antique and Collector centres around here, stuff that I had as a young bride in the 70s and threw out a couple of years later, is making silly money in these places. It's very rare that junk as we knew it then is found at a reasonable price. As Spana said car boots are probably the best bet for that kind of stuff, but you have to be early and fight the dealers. We did a car boot for the first time this year and were quite intimidated by the dealers who were sorting through our stuff almost before we stopped the engine! Scary.

kenny199

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 21:30 »
If you do boot fairs I listened to an old friend who did them regularly.Turn up,sit in the car and drink a cuppa until there are more cars there and then unload your treasure/toot.The dealers will be hassling other people further down the site and you can set up far more easily.
To err is human, to arr is pirate

xx
mini greenhouse from junk

Started by grendel on Frugal Living

17 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:04
by operabunny
xx
Allotment shops

Started by Nige2Plots on Frugal Living

15 Replies
Last post November 14, 2010, 13:41
by Nige2Plots
xx
charity shops rule ok

Started by Madame Cholet on Frugal Living

51 Replies
Last post May 08, 2012, 20:05
by Madame Cholet
xx
Flower Buckets - LOTS in shops because of Mothers Day

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post March 30, 2014, 08:52
by cadalot

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 38 queries.